We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise ship docking question

New York, NY
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
cruise ship docking question

I will be on Emerald Princess docking in Stockholm on Friday, Sept. 2 from 10 to 5. Called Princess and they say ship will be docking in Frihamn 638. Checked Stockholm Port Authority and that says docking in Stadsgard 167. I'd rather not take Princess shore excursion. For my limited time, my thought was to see Vasa Museum,

Old Town (is Changing of the Guard really special to carve the time around?) and perhaps Skansen open air Museum.

I hope dock is Stadsgard. What would my options be, transportation wise?

Any other suggestions for this limited time? Thx.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise ship docking question

Even if you dock at Frihamnen, there is a bus that goes directly down to the waterfront near both Djurgarden and Gamla Stan. I personally would not arrange my day around the Changing of the Guard; not at all like in London because these Swedish troops are very young people rotating for a few weeks service here, so definitely not the spit and polish one might expect. Skansen has a lot of closed houses, so I am not sure I would recommend a visit when you have only six hours in town.

To me, by far the most unique place to visit in Stockholm is the Vasa Museum, something you will not see anywhere else in the world (until Portsmouth unveils the Mary Rose, which is a much smaller and less impressive ship.) The video and guided tour, as well as the vast number of other exhibits there, are fantastically well done. Google the website and see what you think. After the Vasa (we spent several hours there in June), I recommend a visit to Gamla Stan, home of the Royal Palace and its museums, as well as the Nobel Museum. Perhaps take a look at the Rick Steves' Stockholm guidebook for a great Gamla Stan walking tour.

Enjoy!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise ship docking question

Thank you so much for the insight. I will concentrate on your suggestions. Will get Rick Steves book. I'd forgotten about him. He's great. Used his book for my Spain trip.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise ship docking question

Our trip to Spain nine years ago was our introduction to the Rick Steves' guidebooks, and I truly enjoy his practical transportation information, walking tours and actual site tours. For hotels and restaurants, I prefer this tripadvisor website. I am an art museum docent, and he really does a great job with his museum tours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise ship docking question

Certainly no-one in their right mind should use a general city or country guidebook for choosing hotels and restaurants. I notice the restaurant listing for Stockholm on Frommer's website has a large number of places that closed down years ago!

Most cities/countries have their own locally-produced dining guides that are both more reliable and more up-to-date.

5. Re: cruise ship docking question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 22:17