We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent visit to Stockholm

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Recent visit to Stockholm

I got a lot of excellent advice from this forum, so wanted to report back that I had a wonderful five days in the city without it breaking the bank. You might remember, my husband was on business and I was able to come too, as long as I didn't cost much!

On your advice, we stayed centrally and my husband commuted to Kista. That worked very well, although not so easy as normal for him as the direct T-Bana line was closed for 3 months and Kista had roadworks too.

We decided to accept the hotel's discounted offer of breakfast, as although still very pricey, did set me up for the day. With the help of my excellent Time Out travel guide, just off the press on 4 August, I explored the very diverse districts, enjoying simply walking in the streets just soaking up the architecture, the landscape and the atmosphere. My tip would be to remember to look up at the lovely and interesting tops and gables of buildings and roofs - but still to be careful of stepping into the cycle paths!

I enjoyed walking all along the waterfront and also the old town.I also watched the 35 minute changing of the guards ceremony at the palace, marveling at how close we were allowed to get to this and to the royal and government buildings.

It was also lovely to sit outside a cafe in the square watching the world go by. I found it very easy to find a very decent Dagensmenu every lunch time for no more than 80 kr too and can honestly say I was never 'ripped off' once. I took a liking to cinnamon buns though!!

The weather was perfect for exploring on foot. We did have some rain and cloudbursts, but these seemed to pass over very quickly. On one such rainy afternoon, I took the free shuttle bus to Ikea, just to see if it was like ours and to have a ride out of town.

I visited three musems - the coin museum, which was free on Mondays and the two free city museums, which I thought were really excellent.

In the evenings we found some very reasonably priced meals at an Indian Restaurant, a Thai and a Chinese - and two evenings Swedish, so we ate very well.

I found everyone very welcoming and friendly too and am so pleased I was able to experience such a lovely place.

Mentioned in this post
Kista
Kista
Stockholm County, Sweden
London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

Glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for the report!

How did your husband travel to Kista?

Mentioned in this post
Kista
Kista
Stockholm County, Sweden
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

By the Tunnelbana, but he had to use the Green and Blue instead of an easy Blue all the way, which he had planned in advance. Then he walked from the station to the office once he got the route sorted out.

It was fine once he knew what he was doing. Was all a bit hectic when trying to find out where to buy a ticket at the station on the Monday morning though in the rush hour. We didn't realise you got them from a shop and not a machine or kiosk.

Edited: 18 September 2011, 19:26
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

PS

We travelled into Stockholm (City Terminal bus station) by the flygbussarna airport coach, which we found with no problem outside the airport terminal. We bought the ticket from the info desk inside Arrivals - cost 119 SEK. The journey took about 45 minutes.

Coming back, we took the Swebus from the City Terminal. Bought the tickets from the Swebus desk inside the bus station. Interestingly, their machine declined our Mastercard. This was a bit cheaper ( around 90 SEK I think). It was direct and took not much longer to get to Arlanda than the coach. Considering this was 5pm on a Friday evening, we thought it was excellent.

Edited: 19 September 2011, 06:57
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

Glad to read that you enjoyed your trip.

Does England lag also in adoption of the European Chip-and-Pin technology for machine use of credit cards that the USA banks still are trying to avoid? I thought we were the only ones keeping our heads stuck in the past, apparently believing that the fraud costs are lower than the new technology implementation costs.

Edited: 19 September 2011, 17:34
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

No, this Mastercard was a state of the art chip and pin, which had been used all over Stockholm all week. It was the merchant ie Swebe bus who refused it, not my provider. Had another one though, so all was well.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

Good to hear.

BTW, I just read your review of the Sheraton Stockholm, where we also stayed on our four-day visit in late June. My very first time at a chain hotel in Europe (chosen primarily for guaranteed a/c) and we also were pleased, (with the exception for having to eat breakfast out because of the insane price requested, also a first for us in Europe).

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

Yes,Cinti.. we looked at the breakfast options around, but felt breakfast out would be too much of a hassle esp as my husband needed to get to Kista by 8 30 am.Also, I have diabetic tendencies, so am better off with a proper breakfast. I had orange juice, muesli etc, fresh fruit, delicious crispy Swedish crackerbead, cheese, and and two cups of tea - so almost got my money's worth. I would get up early with my husband, then return to the room to get a shower and get out.

I returned from Stockholm fitter with all the walking - 6 hours per day! - but also fatter 'cos of the cheese, cinnamon buns and the evening beer.

I loved Stockholm though and am now very keen to see something else of Sweden.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 21:34
Mentioned in this post
Kista
Kista
Stockholm County, Sweden
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

Oh, those cinnamon buns; yum!

Italy, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

Hi,I've planned a week-end to Stockholm, but I haven't found yet helpful tips about it....Hopefully Trip advisor's tribe will help me :-)!!!

All I read about Stockholm is that it's expensive: but I really can't understand WHAT THAT MEANS?!?!?!I'll be staying in a youth hostel, travelling alone, 3 days, not planning to go clubbing or crazy shopping, just want to visit the main attractions and going out-pubs, bars?-How much do you think it will cost to me?3000 SEK could be enough?

Can anyone suggest me what's really worth visitng in such a short time?

What's the best way to go around the city?Do you think by bike or better by bus?

Any tip will be appreciated.... :-) Cheers

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent visit to Stockholm

3000 sek is a lot, it should be more than enough. Personally, I prefer taking the bus. But if you are used to biking in a city, that could be nice too.