We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions - need help please!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions - need help please!

I will be going to Stockholm for a long weekend in June and have some questions:

- I am totally lost concerning hotels: I like Rival, but with a child it might be too loud at night? Then I was thinking of Skeppsholmen, but I read that they often have parties there at the weekends, so that the nice and quiet atmosphere of the island is gone..?!

I also see that many hotels are situated close to the central station - how is this area like? Because usually these areas around a station is not nice and often unsafe in other big cities?

- I would like to go on a day trip to one of the islands - which would you recommend? which is the most beautiful? How long would it take us to go there? Which one is not too far, becausewith the little child it would be more convenient if the duration of the boat trip is not too long.

Thanks in advance!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
828 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions - need help please!

Rival is clearly the better choice. I would go even more to the centre: most of the things happens above Gamla Stan Island on the map. In my opinion the station area is your best proposition.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions - need help please!

The area round the central station is quite open. My parents have staed in the Radisson there and a bit further down in the Sheraton. I never have noticed any greater safety issues round there myself but a current resident will give you better information.

As to islands - if you want a short boat trip then Vaxholm would be my first choice. Its a nice trip, run from the city centre quays - Waxholmbolaget is the company I know of...

waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/…

And that site also may give you other options but it has not yet been updated for the upcoming summer season so the Stromkajen terminal boats are not detailed (so far as I could find).

Another option that is kind of cheating is to use the ferryboat to go to Drottnigholm. The palace is worth a day visit and the boat trip is pleasant and fairly short. The downside is you are then having to grab entry tickets with a boat load of people.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
42 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions - need help please!

Rival is a good choice - one of the better hotels in Stockholm. I do like the area around Rival as well. The area around the central station is safe but boring (at least in terms of restaurants etc) but it may be very convenient as you will have easy access to most things. The new Radisson waterfront hotel could be a nice option close to the central station. It does of course all depend on what you plan to do. I also like the Elite Eden Park, it is not by the central station but still in the central parts of Stockholm.

I would agree with myrm that Waxholm is a nice day trip and it can be recommended. My favorite island in the archipelago is however Sandhamn but is one of the 'outer' islands so it does take more than 2 hours there. A nice option in the inner archipelago is Grinda.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions - need help please!

We stayed at the Sheraton for three nights last June and the area seemed very safe. It certainly was a great location for sightseeing. We spent one of our four days taking the boat to and from Drottningholm Palace, less than an hour ride.

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions - need help please!

I wouldn't recommend the central stationarea at all. It's not a recidential area and quite trafficated. You won't experience much of Stockholm compared with staying in a recidential area such as Rival and Mariatorget. I don't think you will be bothered with noice at either Rival or Skeppsholmen. Skeppsholmen is also a nice location summertime.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions - need help please!

The station area might not be unsafe but I really can't understand why anyone would like to stay there. It is the most charmless area in inner city Stockholm, as pointed out by Glam.

I would stay at Skeppsholmen, especially since you are travelling with a child and hardly will be out partying late at night.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some questions - need help please!

Waxholm doesn't give you a proper archepelago feeling, it is a glammed up suburb in my opinion. Grinda and Sandhamn are better options if the weather is good.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some questions - need help please!

Thanks for your replies!

How long would it take to go to Grinda?

Maybe I should really try to go to Sandham as everyone praises it that much - why is it more beautiful than Grinda for example?

Which boat company should I choose? Would I have to book in afvance?

Is it better going there f.e. on Monday as it might be crowded at the weekends?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
42 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some questions - need help please!

Grinda would be a little more than an hour with the fastest boat. See these links for some options on how to get there:

stromma.se/en/…

waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/…

visitstockholm.com/en/…1081

I like both Sandhamn and Grinda but I do think that there could be a benefit of going to Grinda with kids. I have heard from friends with children that there are some activities that they have found fun at Grinda and I am not sure that the same is true for Sandhamn. That said Sandhamn is very beautiful. With regards to the day of the week to go I would say that it would be less crowded on a weekday so it may preferable.

It should not be necessary to book in advance, I usually just buy a ticket on the day I wish to go. Especially since it is sort of weather dependent (if it is raining there are better things to do)

ChristanB is also correct in his remark about Waxholm, it is not the real archipelago feeling. That said it is a nice day trip especially if one is pressed for time.

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some questions - need help please!

Out of the two hotels you mention, Rival would be my choice. Nice area, nice hotel.

The central station area is perfectly safe imo, and very convenient to all kinds of transportation. Sure, it's less residential than some other areas but you have Kungsholmen within a few minutes's walk for example where you have lots of restaurants in a more residential and very nice area. I see a few people have mentioned the Radisson Blu Waterfront hotel - that would be my first choice among all the hotels close to the central station.