We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
173 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

Hej everyone!

Do you have some links to the boats that go from Stockholm to Drottningholm Slott? I was hoping to visit the web site and figure out how to get there and a good timeline.

Tack -

Ellen

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

stromma.se/en/…

Strömma Kanalbolaget operates the boats to Drottningholm. It's a summer-only service and there seems to be not that much info regarding this summer's schedule yet.

Going by transit, you would catch the metro (green line) to Brommaplan (direction Hässelby Strand/Vällingby/Åkeshov). At Brommaplan you just catch a bus (there are signs "to Drottningholm Castle"). When you see the castle, it's your stop.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

Hi, Ellen, we took the boat to and from Drottningholm last June and enjoyed our whole experience very much. We had planned several other very intense sightseeing days in central Stockholm (the usual: Vasa Museet, Gamla Stan, History Museum, Nobel Museum, City Hall, Skansen) and upon arrival in Stockholm (after our Baltic cruise which commenced in Copenhagen), we looked at the weather forecasts and chose the best day for our planned outing at a much slower pace than the rest of our visit.

Because we were staying at the Sheraton, the boat departure point only was a five-minute walk away, and the boat ride was very lovely and relaxing. On the way, we stopped at a few small islands to let people off, so it took about 50 minutes or so.

Once there, we purchased tickets for the theater tour (which I highly recommend), toured the Castle itself and then strolled the grounds, including a visit to the lovely Chinese pavilion. We took the last scheduled boat ride back, which was non-stop and about 40 minutes.

Enjoy your visit to beautiful and fascinating Stockholm!

Edited: 29 January 2012, 16:55
Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
173 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

Tack Augustekman and Cinti,

A long time ago, I used to work in Stockholm (Linkoping) now my husband and I are visiting on holiday. We are onboard Holland America's "Baltic Gems" cruise from 24 June to 4 July. We are starting in Stockholm on 20 June.

This time, I have the chance to show my husband Vasa, Gamla Stan, Palace and then do some of the things I never had time for -- Drottningholm and Rosersberg Palace. I have never been to Stockholm in late June, always was working there from November through December (with the headlights always on) so this trip is going to be special!!

Best regards,

Ellen

Edited: 30 January 2012, 16:59
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,688 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

The last time I went out to Drottningholm my wife and I went out on the T-bana and bus combination. It got us there before the ferries arrived and the queues got large for tickets and crowds started to fill the palace and grounds. I think it made a big positive difference to our enjoyment.

We debated going back by ferry, but as we had got SL cards ended up just going back by train and bus. I think we made the wrong decision there actually probably would use the ferry next time for the ride.

That method of out by train/bus and back by ferry gets the best of both worlds - beat the crowds and get the water view.

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
173 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

What great advice. And the SL tickets, do you just buy them at the metro / train station? Is there an online link I should check first?

Thank you!!

Edited: 31 January 2012, 11:46
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,688 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

The SL website in English is

http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Tickets/

Gives the basics about the Sl Access card which you use to charge up the multiday passes etc. The Access card is an electronic wallet basically - you buy that card for 20SEK and then pay for ticketing however you want to. Last time we visited we just bought a 7 day Sl card and used it when we felt like it - better value for us than the Stockholm card for our visit.

You can get that card at any SL centre - the tourist office in Sverigehuset used to sell SL tickets but since they moved to the SL access card system I do not know if that is still true or not - but there is an SL centre within walking distance that sells it in Sergels Torg, plus theres one at the Central Station too,

Edited: 31 January 2012, 22:32
7. Re: Drottningholm - by Ferry and/or metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:26