We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arlanda to city center with an SL card

California
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Arlanda to city center with an SL card

We would like to get from the airport to the central station by train (not the Arlanda Express, we're on a budget). I don't see that many posts regarding the local train from the airport. Most of them suggested taking the bus.

I saw a schedule for SJ train that runs roughly once an hour and a commuter SL train that runs every half hour. If our arrival time works out for SJ train, we'll probably take that as it takes only 20 min. However, if we miss that once an hour SJ train, we might go with the SL train.

If I understand the schedule correctly on the SL website, we'll have to take Upptåget train to Upplands Väsby then change to SL commuter train to Stockholm C. I checked out the cost for the local train from Arlanda (via Upplands Vasby) to Stockholm is 110SEK.

My questions are:

1. Does 110SEK include the trip on the Upptåget train or just on the SL train to Stockholm? If not, how much does this train cost? (In other words, would 110SEK get you from Arlanda to Stockholm or there's an additional cost?)

2. If we get a 24-hour SL card, can we use it on this trip (from Arlanda to Stockholm central)? If we can, the 24-card is totally worth buying.

Thanks for your help!

California
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

I just read about Passage supplemental fee "There is a fee for passing between the trains and the airport terminal at Arlanda. If you have a valid SL ticket, you just pay the passage supplement fee. There is a zone ticket for all three zones with the Arlanda passage supplement fee included."

Can anybody explain what it is?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

The tracks to Arlanda are not part of the pubic national rail network, but are owned by a private consortium (financed by a nice large loan of taxpayer's money, but that's another story...) which charges a hefty chunk of money from anyone who wants to pick up or drop off passengers at the airport. Most train operators simply fold this into the ticket price so passengers never see it, but for the local trains where many have monthly or yearly passes, this would be complicated, so holders of such passes or tickets will have to pay it separately on the airport. The "zone ticket" is the 110 kr ticket you have already found.

So, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, 110 kr takes you all the way into the city.

2. The SL card would include the train ride on Upptåget and the SL train BUT NOT the passage fee that I mentioned above, which I believe amounts to 60 kr.

You can dodge the fee entirely by leaving the airport by bus; line 583 takes you to Märsta from where you can take the SL train into town. However, I do not recommend this option unless you are really strapped for cash or consider rubbing shoulders with the locals and seeing as many nondescript suburbs as possible and end in itself. :-)

California
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

Thank you turepalsson for an insight into this extra fee. (I was pretty confused reading about the supplement charge... never heard of it elsewhere.) Your answer is also very clear. Since we'll be using the SL card quite a bit once we're in the city, we'll just pay the 60 SEK fee to get on the local train :)

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

Does anyone know where you actually have to pay the passage supplement fee from ARN to Stockholm City.....is it on the train or before you enter the train?

Thanks

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

It's before you board the train (when you enter the station). There are fare gates where you pay the supplement.

And, since this is an old thread – it's no longer necessary to change trains at Upplands Väsby. The SL commuter train operates the entire way to Stockholm central station and Älvsjö, calling at all stops.

Nagpur, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

Hello ,

Can anybody help me out for my query .

My wife is arriving on arlanda terminal 5 , and i have SL monthly card .

so ,

1) Which point ,stop or location for waiting i should tell to my wife on arrival and after collecting baggage

(upto where i could go usiing SL card ) as she may not be able to call me to inform her location on arrival

2)How and upto where i can travel from Stockholm using SL card /budget option to go there and receive her

3)where should she wait , and how to reach there after arriving on Arlanda terminal 5

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

@Nsarang

1+3: The best meeting point in Terminal 5 is just when you exit from the customs line. There is only one exit, and that's usually where the pre-booked taxi drivers wait, too.

2: You can go to Arlanda by Pendeltåg (commuter train) to Märsta, take bus 583, alight at "Terminal 5". You'll find the arrival hall easily.

Nagpur, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

hi , thanks for your quick reply , it helped a lot to get clear idea.

Goa Velha, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

@augustekman I see that you have updated the thread,

We (2adults+ 6yr old child) arrive in Arlanda at 8pm and leave the next afternoon by 2pm late oct 2013.

Will the SL ABC zone incl passage fee ticket (for 125SEK) suffice for return to Arlanda the next afternoon as well.

Would this be OK?

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arlanda to city center with an SL card

@SL27, no an ABC zone ticket is valid 120 minutes from activation. You will need one from Arlanda and one to go back again.