We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Stockholm Archipelago tour

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Stockholm Archipelago tour

I am going to be in Stockholm for 3 full days. Is it worth spending 1 full day on an archipelago tour?

I've read much of what has been written on this board about the archipelago tour options. Sandhamn seems like a fan favorite and appeals to me as a destination for a full day tour. My understanding is that the two most popular options for accessing Sandhamn by boat are Waxholmsbolaget and Strömma.

If price is not a consideration, is Strömma the better option? It sounds like Strömma's boats are more upscale and comfortable.

I know that Strömma does a lunch cruise, but there's also a lot of discussion on this board about having lunch in Sandhamn. I assume that since the distance to Sandhamn is 2 hours, that if I take an early morning boat there won't be lunch and I would have lunch in Sandhamn. Is that right? I don't want to pay for lunch on the boat if I plan to eat in Sandhamn.

Finally, if you don't think I should spend 1 full day on a boat tour, what are the best options for a half day tour?

Many thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Stockholm Archipelago tour

We spent four days in Stockholm last June after a Baltic cruise, which of course came through a lot of the archipelago before we disembarked. We are major museum goers, but decided to spend one day more leisurely by visiting Drottningholm Castle by Stromma boat each way, a delightful break from our city wanderings. The small theatre there is a gem, the Chinese pavilion and castle itself interesting and the vast gardens lovely, with a nice 45 to 50 minutes cruise each way.

Enjoy your visit!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Stockholm Archipelago tour

Hi,

Sandhamn is only served by Strömma/Cinderella boats. These boats are modern and fast and have a restaurant. The morning departure takes approx 2 hours and dep is usually around 9:30 with a return option from Sandhamn around 15:00. Vaxholmsbolaget have boats to Sandhamn as well but they don't depart from Stockholm but from Stavsnäs which is a 45 minutes bus ride from Stockholm.

Strömma also have lunch and dinner cruises to Vaxholm and these boats make a loop back to Stockholm. It is not mandatory to eat on the boat and the ticket does not include lunch or dinner which has to be booked and payed for separately. For these cruises older archipelago boats are used. These boats have more character than the modern Cinderella boats.

Strömma is a tour company while Vaxholmsbolaget is for public transport. Vaxholmsbolaget does have some tours and packages as well.

There are many different tours and cruises to choose from in summer. Until mid June some tours only operate during week ends or with a limited schedule.

Links:

Strömma: http://www.stromma.se/en/Home/

Vaxholmsbolaget: http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/ (run through Google translate)

Cinderella boats to Sandhamn: www.stromma.se/en/Skargard/Cinderellabatarna/

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Stockholm Archipelago tour

Info on Sandhamn: http://www.destinationsandhamn.se/en/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Stockholm Archipelago tour

Many thanks for your very helpful responses. If anyone could weigh in on whether I should devote a full day or half day of my 3 day trip to Stockholm to the archipelago tour, I would greatly appreciate it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Stockholm Archipelago tour

Why not overnight it? Finnhamn is a great little island, closer than Sandhamn, and is very relaxing. It's not as built up as Sandhamn but you can rent a cabin and a sauna for the night and then leave in the morning. Quite fun.

6. Re: Questions about Stockholm Archipelago tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:42