We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

Hi,

I will be going to Stockholm for 4 days in May and just wondering how much cash I should be bringing. I intend to pay cash for food and small transactions only (souvenirs) and use my credit card for most of the shopping.

As for food, we may go for restaurants for dinners but nothing too fancy. Breakfast is provided in hotel and we will look for street food for lunch/

Thanks for your suggestions!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

Hej!

Be prepared to pay 70-90 SEK for lunch - getting the cheapest alternatives at cafés (like sandwich, pie, pasta, salads, baked potatoes) or buffets.

(BigMac menu is 70 SEK just to give you a hint)

Dinner for abt 90-200 at pubs/bars/pizzerias. (90 being fingerfood/salads, add a few Tens for hamburgers/pasta) add drinks to that.

Pizzas are abt 70 SEK depending on ingredients both for lunch and dinner.

In Sweden you drink tap water, so for the cheapest alternative ask for tap water (never buy water on bottles - unnecessary) - at lunch you don't have to pay for it, at dinner maybe 10 SEK.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

A beer is about 50 SEK at a restaurant, a glass of wine from 70 SEK and upwards, bottles from 300 SEK.

If we move ahead from pizza/pub/bar food, for a pretty much normal restaurant, a starter would be 70–140 SEK, a main 150–280 SEK.

Good to know might be that we don't tip much over here, just round our bills up if we're happy with the service, maybe a bit more if it's been excellent.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

Good point about the tipping august! :)

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

Hi,

Why pay cash in restaurants? Why don't you use your credit card? I suggest that you bring canadian dollars and change a smaller amount into SEK for small expenses upon arrival in Sweden.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

We were there for 3 days and changed 150 Euros at the airport, we had a stockholm card so didn't need to pay for any tourist attractions, anything else we used our credit card, we saw that everyone paid by credit card even in the pubs so on our last night instead of changing another 50 Euros we paid by credit card, it's the easiest option.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
644 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

Be aware that most credit card companies charge a foreign transaction fee so check with your company before you leave. Mine charge 2-3 %.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

Hi,

I have a VISA-card issued by a Swedish bank and in my case the bank charges a transaction fee when I use my VISA-card abroad. Even with a transaction fee of 2% (my bank charges 1.55%) I have always come to the conclusion that using my VISA card is better than changing money.

Today's exchange rate with VISA is 14,68 CAD for 100 SEK (14,97 CAD with a 2% transaction fee).

Forex, the most common money change bureau in Sweden, today charges 15,21 CAD for 100 SEK.

I guess it's always a good idea to check exchange rates and transaction fees as it is, in my opinion, so much more convenient to use a card. And in my case it's also a better deal.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

I would give different advice on how to pay in Stockholm If you have foreign credit cards, do not use them if you don't have to. I generally only use them for big purchases during the trip (for example, the hotel) and use cash as much as possible. My advice is wait until you get here and take cash from the ATM using your regular debit card.

I believe that this ends up being the best option, and gives you a base line. You can also check later on when you get to the hotel to see exactly how much you took out from your home bank via online banking and use that number to frame your thinking about money. Handelsbanken allows you to take about the most SEK of any of the ATMs at one time, which is great if you have a bank that only charges a flat fee per ATM transaction. Swedish banks do not charge ATM fees to anyone.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 01:20
New York
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

it gets expensive very fast. A decent hamburger and fries or what have you for dinner will probably run you 100+ SEK, in some cases close to 150 depending on where you go.

Take note that many lunch specials are sometimes close to half the price, although some say the food is not as good. Dinner is not cheap! Id use a CC as much as possible...especially if you get cash back or some bonus miles or something.

10. Re: How much SEK to bring for a 4-day trip to Stockholm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:16