We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Stockholm

Seattle Area
Level Contributor
373 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Stockholm

We have enjoyed walking through Stockholm and appreciating the attention to design in the city. The architecture is beautiful. We've walked miles noting the artisty in everything from the placement of stone to the iron fences. We are now curious about the natural beauty outside of the city. We would like to take a day trip. It is okay if it is long, but we'd like to sleep at our same hotel. We don't mind being gone until midnight. Would you suggest a favorite place to see? I am imagining something on the water more than the countryside. We could go by boat or train. If some method of transportation is nicer and more scenic, please mention that. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

I personally enjoy:

• The archipelago. Take a boat trip to one of the remote islands, like Finnhamn (small) or Utö (big).

• Mariefred. This is a beautiful town, with a pictoresque heritage train and Gripsholm castle. You can go there by train or boat, I suggest you go one way by the first option and the other by the second.

Mentioned in this post
Gripsholm Castle
Gripsholm Castle
177 Reviews
Mariefred, Sweden
doncaster
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

Hi im going to Stockholm for 3 days next week and would like to, time permitting go to Gripsholm castle. Does any one know how long it takes to get there and how often the train is.

As I only have 3 days was wondering whether I should go.

Many Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Gripsholm Castle
Gripsholm Castle
177 Reviews
Mariefred, Sweden
Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

There are trains more or less every hour weekdays. The ride Stockholm–Läggesta is about 40 minutes. From Läggesta you catch the local connecting bus or the heritage train to Mariefred.

Timetable:

tidtabell.resplus.se/tidtabell/58_tag58h.pdf

Journey planner:

www.sj.se/start/startpage/index.form?l=en

Heritage train:

www.oslj.nu/…

I'd say that Gripsholm/Mariefred might be a bit to much if you've only got three days in Stockholm. Mariefred is worth a stroll, Gripsholm castle takes a couple of hours. I'd say it's about a day in total.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Gripsholm Castle
Gripsholm Castle
177 Reviews
Mariefred, Sweden
doncaster
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

Thankyou so much that has helped me alot I may leave it till I come back in the future.

Seattle Area
Level Contributor
373 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

Thank you. Those are great suggestions.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

We enjoyed spending one day of our four in Stockholm post-Baltic cruise visiting Drottningholm by Stromma boat each way, a relaxing break from our intensive sightseeing. We visited the palace, the amazing unique gem of a theater, the Chinese Pavilion, and simply spent time strolling the lovely grounds. (Perhaps I would have chosen differently if our cruise had not spent several hours navigating through the archipelago.)

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
doncaster
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

Hi will be returning to Stockholm at the end of August and want to go to gripsholm castle Is the journey easy.Thought I would go quite early so im not too late back to Stockholm.Would the journey be expensive? Many Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Gripsholm Castle
Gripsholm Castle
177 Reviews
Mariefred, Sweden
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
599 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

Blenderbringer,you might be interested in my recent post on this Forum titled "Recommended Day Trip By Classic Steamboat."

9. Re: Day trips from Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:47