We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI for North Americans trying to buy train tix.

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
FYI for North Americans trying to buy train tix.

After trying and getting frustrated from my credit cards getting rejected on www.sj.se, I finally found a site for us living outside of Scandinavian countries. Finally worked! www.ACPRail.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI for North Americans trying to buy train tix.

I just checked the prices on the website. While the interface is better, http://bokatag.se/en/ offers better value and it does accept American cards from reports on the forum here. :)

United States
Level Contributor
109 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI for North Americans trying to buy train tix.

I booked a ticket on the SJ website a couple of weeks ago - no problem using my U.S. Capital One card.

ACP, like Rail Europe, sells to the U.S. market, so I would expect them to accept our credit cards, but the tickets are more expensive than buying direct - but if you can't get your credit card to work, they're a good alternative for those of us that like to buy tickets in advance.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI for North Americans trying to buy train tix.

Yes, it was little more expensive but cheaper than Eurail site. I couldn't buy tickets on botatag site either. Still knowing we have our tickets, that we are seated together with a table near a window. We didn't want to leave all that to chance.

BYW Delta, how were you able to buy your fix on SJ site? I even called our AMEX and they couldn't get the tickets either. In fact, they quoted me the Eurail price which is ridiculous!

United States
Level Contributor
109 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI for North Americans trying to buy train tix.

I didn't have a problem at all - no idea why my Visa card worked. I didn't bother trying with my AmEx, I try to avoid using them for other currencies because of their fees. Did you try with a MC or Visa or just AmEx?

Ironically, I wish the card hadn't worked - I thought I was buying a ticket on a nice, long-distance train but I learned through another thread that SJ does not operate the route I'm traveling (Malmo-Gothenburg) and instead I'm on an Öresundståg train, which seems to be just one step up from a commuter train.

I had assumed rail would be nicer than the bus and it looked that way from the SJ website, but now I'm sorry I committed to rail when the bus might have been a better option. Like you, I did not want to leave anything to chance - I wanted a seat by the window, on the train of my choice. I learned a good lesson and will not make a decision like that again without asking the locals first.

Utah
Level Contributor
429 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI for North Americans trying to buy train tix.

I've had no problem booking via sj.se, and they show what type of train you're booking.

6. Re: FYI for North Americans trying to buy train tix.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:16