We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress in Stockholm

Chestertown...
Level Contributor
25 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Dress in Stockholm

My husband and I will be in Stockholm in late August. Is it appropriate for a professional man to wear jeans? Same question for a woman wearing Capri pants?

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress in Stockholm

Probably, yes, but depends on the business. People in finance will probably find jeans a tad under dressed. But in most professions, it will definitely work.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress in Stockholm

Michelle, are you going on business? I'm a little confused by your question. Usually a man should dress in a suit and a woman should not wear capris....in fact capris are not generally worn in Europe for casual wear so you would look a bit out of place. I would wear a smart skirt suit, pantsuit or dress w/blazer. But this all also depends on the nature of the business, if its an office environment or other. Really need more info to answer your question better.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress in Stockholm

I spent two weeks in Stockholm last Sept. and stayed in the Ostermalm area.

This seemed to be a "tony" and professional area of Stockholm, with many architects' and designer's offices.

The dress that I observed for women was fitted jeans or black pants and low heeled or high boots or black pants and low heeled or high boots.

For men the dress I observed was fitted jeans or black pants, dark sport coats or blazers.

To note: the people in this area were very fit looking and very slim.

In all of my travels to Europe, which is only five times in the last 20 years, NO ONE wears Capris. I think they do that only in Florida, which is where I am from....and i do love capris, but leave them at home when traveling to Europe.

One last note for dress for women: long wrap scarves are "in", at least they were for my last two trips to Sweden in 2010 and 2011. Leggings seems to be a substitute for fitted jeans, at least they were in the University town of Umea, and a bit in Stockholm. Leather jackets (short) or fitted jackets of a dark material were worn by most women in the section of Stockholm in which I stayed.

In summary, the "look" seems to be one of understatement, fitness, colors that do not attract attention, the profile of clothing being one of good fit and good profile.

This from the observations of an artist/illustrator.

Some may have a different perspective.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Ostermalm
Ostermalm
222 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Europe
Europe
World
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress in Stockholm

I was just in Stockholm 2 weeks ago and it was so cold. I brought only 1 sweatshirt and had to wear it every day because it was cold every day. It also rained a lot so bring an umbrella just in case. I saw most people wearing dress pants and dress shirts but there were also alot of jeans and sweatshirts. It probably depends on where you're going. People pretty much dress like they do in the US and Canada. People don't wear the plaid PJ bottoms I always see people wearing in the mall and places here in Canada wearing. If you're going out for dinner then obviously dress up but if you're going to do touristy stuff jeans are fine.

Edited: 30 July 2012, 17:42
Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
new york
Level Contributor
106 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress in Stockholm

I hope you don't mind me jumping into the conversation. I am just packing for next weeks trip.

Planned on wearing a 'maxi dress' in red pattern to dinner at grand hotel. is this too showy?

also need attire for church confirmation and following party. I don't want to look crass but am not a fan of stuffy skirts and blazers. are summery colors okay? white jeans?

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress in Stockholm

A maxi dress in red sounds fine! It hasn't really been a maxi dress summer, since we haven't had any heatwaves to speak of but they are still quite popular here. White jeans in church is fine and so are summery colours. You could wear them with a nice blouse.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 11:56
7. Re: Dress in Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 10:16