We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chinese restaurants and yum cha

spain
Level Contributor
162 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
chinese restaurants and yum cha

does anyone know where they serve good yum cha lunch on a Monday or alternatively can recommend a good Chinese restaurant

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
955 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chinese restaurants and yum cha

Whoo boy. Chinese restaurants in Stockholm are pretty abysmal. If you think that American-Chinese food is bad, wait until you try Swedish-Chinese. Like American-Chinese that was made up to cater to American tastes, the majority of places serve "Chinese" dishes that have been adapted to Swedish tastes. This involves a lot of sweet and sour sauce, soy/salty flavors, a little curry, and nothing really spicy.. In fact, many of the Chinese restaurants in Stockholm have a dish -completely made up for Swedish consumption- called "Four Small Dishes" which involves sweet and sour deep fried shrimp, sweet and sour deep fried chicken, curry chicken, and a soy sauce beef with veggies. I can't remember going to a Chinese restaurant in Sweden that I genuinely liked.

I fully admit that things are changing and lately I've seen a few Chinese restaurants pop up that could be good, but I haven't been willing to pay the 80-300kr needed to check if actually managed to escape the misery of Swedish-Chinese. Dumplings have, in the past year or two, started to appear in Stockholm as a food trend, but I would wager that this is mainly exoticism, similar to how sushi was in Stockholm a couple of years ago. It's going to be expensive for something passable and if you are looking for pushy ladies behind steamcarts dishing up a pick-and-choose meal I doubt you are going to find it.

Edited: 04 August 2012, 19:46
Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chinese restaurants and yum cha

I agree most chinese restaurants should be avoided. The only one I go to is Ho's on Hornsgatan (close to Hornstull strand), but when I passed it today it was closed for refurbishment.

Xi'an Köket on Frejgatan 79 (close to Odengatan and City Library) is supposed to have good and popular dumplings. It opens at 11.00 on mondays.

Mentioned in this post
Ho's
Ho's
148 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
spain
Level Contributor
162 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chinese restaurants and yum cha

Thanks SeattleFlyerG, where we live in Spain the chinese food is abysmal too and entirely invented to suit the Spanish, so I know what you mean. Thanks Glam1 will have a look at both your suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
4. Re: chinese restaurants and yum cha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 03:16