We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

I will be traveling from Stockholm to Copenhagen in late January. Trying to decide wether to take the train or fly. Not really concerned about cost or time I'm just wondering if it's a scenic trip or if there is anything worth seeing?

Thanks

Ludvika, Sweden
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

If you're really not concerned about time I suggest you take the bus (Swebus) instead. It takes a more scenic route, passing by lake Vättern, and is more reliable than the train.

If you want to make a stop on the way I recommend you stop in the small, beautiful lakeside town of Gränna, about halfway between Sockholm and Malmö. Or, if you like art noueveau architecture and old industrial buildings, maybe a stop in Norrköping would be more interesting for you.

Ludvika, Sweden
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

I should add that there are some scenic spots if you travel by train, but nothing spectacular. Mostly it's just fields and forests along the tracks.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

I'd say the train route is scenic in a very specific way – you'll see a lot of how the Swedish countryside looks like (deep forests, lakes, red cottages). But breathtaking views are scarce (basically only from three bridges – Årstabron, Igelstabron and the Øresund bridge).

It's also a good idea to plan for light – sun sets at about 16:00 in the end of January. Make sure to have your entire trip in daylight.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
84 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

It is a good point augustekman makes about the daylight hours...

I almost always take the train, as the time (factoring in getting to and from airports as well as checking in and waiting for flights) is close enough to being the same as it doesn't make a difference. I also like the leg room and being able to move around. The views from the train are nice... if you are lucky it will be a winter wonderland when you are here!

Durban
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

Is it advisable to do the train trip during daylight hours in December from Stockholm to Copenhagen?

ie- for scenery. Seems a 5 hour trip

I see that it's not possible to book trains as yet now for December how far in advance do the bookings open?

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

@Yolandews Regarding daylight hours and scenery, please read the previous posts in this thread.

Cheap tickets are released 90 days before departure. But, there is a change of timetable after 14 December and the upcoming timetable isn't finished yet. Booking after that date might be suspended until the 2014 timetable is completed.

Durban
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

Thank you for your reply. Would it then be advisable to wait till we are there to buy the tickets, as we will only be in Stockholm for 2 days.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

If you know which train you're going, it's much better to buy the tickets in advance (as soon as they're available). Trains occasionally sell out and you get a better price booking sooner.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
438 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

There are sleeper trains too. As said, the best views are from the bridges in Stockholm, Södertälje and Öresund, you will be able to get some good views, and sleep in between.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Stockholm to Copenhagen. Is it scenic?

I just returned from Stockholm this past weekend after taking the train from Copenhagen to Stockholm on Tuesday. I found it a very relaxing trip and enjoyed the countryside and lakes. As mentioned, no big breathtaking photo moments but I enjoyed seeing all the town names as a point of reference. For instance, when visiting the ABBA museum, I realized that the train passed through Jönköping which was the birthplace of the blonde female singer Agnetha Fältskog. This is also near Huskvarna which I assume is related to the Swedish company of the same name and is familiar to Americans.

FYI: I booked 90 days out and paid US$30 for the ticket.