We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best day trip by train

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
best day trip by train

I'm looking for a day trip by train from Stockholm (have a free pass).....up to an 1.5 hours each way. What's the best place to visit?

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: best day trip by train

Is your free pass on SL or SJ?

What time of year will you be visiting?

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: best day trip by train

While not the original poster my husband and I will be in Stockholm in July. The idea of a day trip outside the city, by train, is very appealing. Interested in any suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: best day trip by train

I like Mariefred, a pittoresque town with the Gripsholm Castle, nice strolls and the heritage railroad connecting with the SJ main line in Läggesta. (Get a round trip – boat to Mariefred, stroll, visit Gripsholm castle, heritage train, main line train back to Stockholm)

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: best day trip by train

It is a eurail pass.......I know that it can be used for more expensive trips, but we just happen to have 2 trips left over

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: best day trip by train

All right, then. If you're going in summer I'd recommend Mariefred (as in post 3 – http://www.imariefred.nu/index.aspx – go by SJ to Läggesta, the last two kilometres to Mariefred is by heritage train).

Another place I like is Ängelsberg, a Unesco world heritage site with 19th century iron works in a fantastic environment ( ekomuseum.se/english/…engelsbergs.html ). Go there, have a guided tour in the iron works, go by boat to the oil refinery (on a small island in the lake by the village), have a guided tour of it. Very pretty and interesting.

Uppsala has a lot to offer as well.

Others might have more ideas of day trips!

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: best day trip by train

Thank you!

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: best day trip by train

Thank you so much augustekman!

I think we'll choose Mariefred.

omaha
Level Contributor
82 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: best day trip by train

What about spending the night? We are doing 2 nights at Hiltons in Amsterdam/Copenhagen/Stockholm/Helsinki (all on points). We would like to visit the countryside so plan on an overnight trip in each city by train or maybe car rental and stay in a picturisque town in each area. It is a 15/16 day trip so we can take the night train/boat between the large cities to save a bit.

9. Re: best day trip by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:15