We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in Scandinavia

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Rain in Scandinavia

I will be in Denmark,Norway & Sweden in the 2nd half of Sept. Through this forum I gather that Sept is a rainy (drizzling) month. May I know how heavy is the downpour of the rain,will it as heavy as in asean countries like mine in M'sia, the volume of rain can be as heavy like flowing from "waterfall".

I'm not sure whether I can wear canvas shoes for this rainy season and with the expected colder weather, can we still have chance to wear sandals (as it's more comfortable) instead of sport shoes ?

Appreciates your kind comments. Many thanks.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

I'd say it's already a bit on the cold side for wearing sandals. Day temperatures are 15–20 degrees now, sinking day by day.

We rarely get the rainforest torrential downpour, you should be fine with canvas shoes. Actually, Converse All stars canvas shoes are among the most popular shoes around here. All year.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

As Scandinavia covers a wide area weather and downpour will vary very much.

In Svullrya (Norway, next to the Swedish border) the average rain in September is 79mm (for the month). In Bergen (Western Norway) it's 283mm. In Karasjok (far north of Norway) it's 40mm.

In Sweden it not that extreme, but the average varies from 40mm to 170mm. In Denmark it varies from 56mm to 85mm.

Snow has been falling on the mountain in the north and sub-zero temperatures won't come as a surprise during the night in these parts and in the mountains.

You can check the weather forcast for where you're going at http://www.yr.no

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

Dear Augustekman,

Thanks for your comment. 

I’m glad to learn that canvas shoes are good enough although a bit sad that no chance at all for leisure sandals…

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

Dear Whisky Traveller,

Thanks for your comment. 

I’ll be at Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen & Stockholm.

It’s really challenging as an Asean to face a sub-zero temperature at night so night life/activities may not be viable then.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

All those towns are in the southern parts of Scandinavia, so yoy shouldn't get such low temperatures there.

Oslo last year varied from +1.3C and +23C and Bergen varied from +1.8C and +19.3C

Dress accordingly and the temperature will not be much of a problem.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

Dear Whisky Traveller,

Noted with thanks.....

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

Can someone tell me when the rainy season is in Scandinavia.

Do you get rain in June July

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

We don't have a rainy season - it can rain all year round and differ very much in a short distance of time and space. In parts of Scandinavia there's a saying (much like they have in Western Scotland) - "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and there'll be something different"

We can get rain in July and every other month. Parts of Scandinavia is spared from rain during part of the year, when snow falls instead.

Check http://www.yr.no/ there you will find weather statistics for every town and area. July tends to be counted among the drier months, but rain can fall - some places might even get snow/hail during July.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

Thanks vert much

Bro, Sweden
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain in Scandinavia

There are no rainy season or unrainy season. However june tends to have more rain then july but its not relly bad. Also it depends were you are, if you go to denmark west and even worse norway west its like the uk, alot of rain that is. In sweden very much less, anyway june and july aspecially july is the best time to visit if you dont come for snow which are more in jan and feb