We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking rail tickets.. 90 days???

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west yorks
Level Contributor
8 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
booking rail tickets.. 90 days???

Last evening (19/09) I was able to get to the final payment stage of a rail booking for a night train sleeper from Stockholm to Malmo next April - 2014. I tried several times to begin to make the payment but was unable to get to the payment screen.

I then found out that the SJ website had been hacked and was non functional. I tried again to access the website without success so tried Eurorail telephone booking instead. I was told that rail tickets are not available to book until 90 days before the date of travel.

I can't understand how the SJ website would give me the coach number and seat number for the private sleeper if I was unable to book.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please? I've booked a flight from Malmo to Stockholm and am now concerned that the tickets for the sleeper will be even more expensive and I may not be able to afford to make the trip. Any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking rail tickets.. 90 days???

Trains can be booked before the 90 days (on sj.se), but discounted tickets are made available 90 days in advance.

Stay far, far away from Eurorail or any such reseller of tickets. They are highly over priced, often give incorrect information and will never give you a better deal than the train operator.

Just be patient and return to the www.sj.se site 90 days before your travel dates.

If you're still worried call SJ directly at +46 771 75 75 75, https://www.facebook.com/sj or email form: https://www.sj.se/support/contactquery.form…

Edited: 20 September 2013, 18:37
west yorks
Level Contributor
8 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking rail tickets.. 90 days???

Thank you for your reply and the re assurance! Its a scandal that companies like these sre allowed to give such poor service/advice.

I'll give SJ a ring again today. I managed to get through to what I think was an answering service- not speaking SWedish it was hard to tell.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking rail tickets.. 90 days???

If you call the SJ number +46 771 75 75 75 a voice tells you: "Välkommen till SJ, for information in English press seven"

west yorks
Level Contributor
8 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking rail tickets.. 90 days???

I have managed to get through to the SJ website and have now successfully booked my night train sleeper tickets. I have received the printed receipt via email and have to collect them at the SJ offices/railway station.

All very painless (finally).

5. Re: booking rail tickets.. 90 days???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 06:19