We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
T M
Seattle
3 posts
Save Topic
Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

Arriving on St Peter Line Cruise Ship to Stockholm in October. Plan to sight-see the city, then go to Skavsta Airport in evening. Family of 5, so we need a good size car. Any car rentals at Frihamnen port that we can rent for a day and return the car at Skavsta Airport?

Thanks for your help!!

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

Renting a car seems like a really bad idea. Why don't you take a taxi from Frihamnen to Åhlens department store, store your luggage there, do some sightseeing, pick up your luggage, walk to the Cityterminalen coach station and take a coach to Skavsta? The airport coach is quite comfortable.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

I've tried to check rental possibilities in Frihamnen, and the only rental office I can find is "Auto Biluthyrning", which doesn't have an office at Skavsta.

I'd second @ChristianB's suggestion – skip the car. It will only be a mess to drive and find parking spots in the inner city. And you can probably get a few taxi rides for the price of a one-way car rental.

T M
Seattle
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

Thank you for your replies! How much would it be to store 5 bags at the department store? Can I just store at the port terminal? And then come back to it and go to the airport?

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

It should be 20 SEK a piece. See this previous thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189852-i233-k5666…

It's much better to store your luggage in central Stockholm, as it's really close to where the Skavsta bus departs from. Frihamnen is quite a detour when you're going to the airport.

Web site for Flygbussarna (airport coaches): http://flygbussarna.se/en/skavsta

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

As for taxi, I would recommend prebooking a car from Taxi Stockholm +46 8 150 000 and ask for a big van. Price from Frihamnen to Ahlens should be 20-30 USD.

T M
Seattle
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I just want less hassle, since we will have a 5 year old and 1 year old with us, plus gradma. :) And, about 5 bags. So, looking for the best option.

Thanks!!

Göteborg
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

I agree with the recommendation of taxi + Airport bus. Don't forget to ask for a child seat and a booster seat when you book the taxi!

8. Re: Need Car Rental for 1Day from Frihamnen to SkavstaAirport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 06:22