We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary Stockholm residents - out of town advice

Southampton, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Temporary Stockholm residents - out of town advice

Hi. I moved to Stockholm for the winter about 4 weeks ago. Really excited, we managed to get a place to live in Gamla Stan and I'm working in Östermalm and all is great so far. We're loving the city and there's tons to do. We're also getting ready for the cold by investing in decent jackets & boots!

However, my boyfriend and I would like to take the opportunity while we're here to do a couple of day trips around the area, probably hire a car, and I wondered if anyone could recommend some nice places to visit for a day outside of the city. Also, we have found that shopping in the smaller inner city supermarkets is a lot more expensive that going to the out of town places (one of our friends kindly took us in her car). Are there any cheaper out of town supermarkets that we could get public transport to, or do we need to combine car hire/day trip with our food shopping?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temporary Stockholm residents - out of town advice

LiDL in the city has cheap groceries. I have to admit that I always have bought my groceries in the city, so I don't know what's expensive and not, but I would guess that e.g. Daglivs and ICA supermarket Fridhemsplan (both very close to Fridhemsplan subway station) are cheaper than most smaller supermarkets in the city.

http://www.daglivs.se/

ica.se/butiker/…

You can also take the subway to Liljeholmen where you will find ICA Kvantum:

ica.se/butiker/…

I think they also got decent prices.

Regarding daytrips. Have you been to Sigtuna? I like it, and it's well worth a daytrip.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
363 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temporary Stockholm residents - out of town advice

Go to Uppsala ! The Palace and Domkyrka there is amazing . Gamla Stan is more authentic and less touristy than Stockholm. There are several other small museums there and a stroll along the river is really romantic. It is the main university city in Sweden with one on the oldest universities in Europe. If you are a science geek, or not go to Museum Gustavianum across from Domkyrka, It has an amazing collection of 15th- 18th century science equipment, including Lineas personal items. If you have time, Gamla Uppsala has Viking royal mounds. If you are a fan of Nordic Mythology that is where the sacrifices to Thor were made.

If you can borrow a bike, it's still nice enough to ride around Stockholm. Drottingholm is a good ride ( 6 km) from downtown. Make sure you have lights on the bikes.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 19:53
3. Re: Temporary Stockholm residents - out of town advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:21