We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Topic
How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

Hi There,

We're 2 adults and 2 kids(10/14) travelling to Stockholm next year in July first week.. can you recommend how we can spend our three days in the city..What must see?..Can you recommend any worth visit day trip for one day outside Stockholm?..Any input much appreciated..

Is there any Glass factory tour or steam train tour please advise..Our plan is to do like this

Day 1. Arrive Stockholm from US in the afternoon. Any advise what we can do that half day?

Day 2. Taking boat tour, Old town(Gamla stan), Royal palace.

Day 3. Vasa Museum, Skansen after that ???

Day 4. Please advise what to do?..Drottninggatan palace may be..OR Day trip to somewhere else.

How we can do this city tour by busses or train or we should go for hop on off tour bus?..

Thanks!!

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

I think you should dedicate one day to a trip out to the archepelago, maybe Utö or Sandhamn. Search on those names on the Stockholm forum and you will find lots of information.

Glass production is in a slump in Sweden, in the Stockholm area there is still the porcelain factory in Gustavsberg but not sure it is worth a detour. Check out the glass hut at the Skansen museum instead!

I also recommend City Hall where the nobel prize dinner was held the other day. Climb the tower for a great view. If you like guided tours, the Opera, the Hallwylska Mansion and the Parliament all have guided tours in English on Saturdays

I would advice against Drottningholm. It is a pretty mini version of Versaille but I would not squeeze it into a three day trip, it isn't that spectacular.

You should also have a look at the department store NK and the shopping area around Biblioteksgatan (if any of you like fashion/shopping).

houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

Thank you so much for your reply..So do u think my Itinery looks ok for day 1 and 2?..For day 3 yes I'm also not that much interested in palace visit so will go for Archepelago..I saw this in youtube..Is it worth to visit?..

Yes we can go for Nk.

Thanks!

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

Archepelago is definitely worth a visit, I never go to Sweden in the summer without venturing out.

City Hall is close to the Old Town and the Royal Palace, you could do that in the same day.

houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

Thank you so very much for ur very helpful input..Please advise should we go with Hop on off bus city tours or we should rent a car will be better option?...As we're 4 people..Or just rent a car for 1 day when we go for Archipelago?..

Thanks!

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

For such a short stay in Stockholm, renting a car is an inconvenience. Public transport is good and the city is fairly compact. I would not use the hop-on bus either, during your sightseeing you will see enough anyway, either by foot or bus or ferry.

The archepelago ferries depart from downtown Stockholm (outside the Grand Hotel) so no need for a car there either.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 16:33
houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

Thanks a lot..Should we buy the bus tkt when we board at the same time or is there any buss passes for 3 days?..So we can save something as we're 4 people travelling?...

What will be the best option coming from Airport to city?..One more thing Day1 we'll do City hall as we'll be close to Royal palace..Day 2 when we go for Vasa and Skansen Museum what else do u suggest we can do after that?..Much appreciated ur advises.

Thanks!

Edited: 12 December 2013, 16:51
Göteborg
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

I think your new plan looks great!

After the Vasa museum and Skansen I think your kids would appreciate to end the evening at the amusement park Gröna Lund, right next to Skansen.

At both Vasa and Skansen there are a lot of hands on-activities, films (Vasa), and so on, so don´t rush it. Buy an ice cream, sit on a bench and watch the animals, talk to the people in the old houses in Skansen and try some handicraft.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

As Christian B says, I wouldn't recommend Drottningholm for such a short trip - but it can be beautiful during summer. Maybe you should opt for a boat trip inwards lake Mälaren instead of the Archipelago as some will take you to Drottningholm but personally I'd go with the archipelagi instead.

Maybe a trip to Grinda and a lunch at the Inn there.

houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

Thank you all for ur inputs..Please let me know for city bus tkts will just buy the tkt at the same time when we board for specific destination or we should buy three days pass or something to save money?..

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to spend 3 Days in Stockholm

I would recommend taking a taxi from the airport, just make sure you agree on the price before getting into the car. The price should be around the 500 SEK mark.

A 72 hour bus/metro ticket is about 20 USD for children and about 35 USD for adults. You can buy them at most metro stations. Or you could buy a prepaid card where you are charged for every trip but I think the 72 hour card is a better option.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 17:57