We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

My mother and I are planning a ~2 week trip to Scandinavia 3/31/14. We would like to visit Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and Bergen and do the Flam-Myrdal fjord trip (Norway in the Nutshell). We can fly in or out of either Oslo, Stockholm or Copenhagen (unfortunately not Bergen - mom won a contest giving her airfare and 3 hotel nights), and I'd hate to waste unnecessary time and money back-tracking. I've learned that Tivoli Gardens doesn't open until 4/10/14 (we are not traveling with kids and well past the Amusement Park age or enthusiasm) and that trains between Oslo and Stockholm are very slow and unreliable. I would highly appreciate any suggestions on the best itinerary (which cities to visit, in which order, how many days, must-see sights), where to fly into and where to fly out of, and best way to travel between the cities (train, flight, ferry) and recommended hotels that are well-situated but (hopefully) won't break the bank (I know Scandinavia can be pricey and Mom's not the hostel type; lol) (we do have Hilton and Marriott points we can use). Thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

You can fly quite cheap between Bergen and Stockholm, so I would suggest to e.g. fly to Copenhagen, take the train to Olso through Sweden. Do a short stop in Oslo and then take the train to Bergen. Fly from Bergen to Stockholm after you are done in Bergen. Fly home from Stockholm.

An alternative would be to fly to Copenhagen, fly to Oslo, take the train to Bergen, fly to Stockholm, fly home from there, or take the train back to Copenhagen and fly home from there.

Regarding train from Oslo to Stockholm. Don't know enough about it, but sounds odd that a train in Scandinavia would be unreliable.

Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Another idea could be to fly in to Copenhagen, then take the overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo http://www.dfdsseaways.com/

Spend some time in Oslo, take the train to Bergen visitnorway.com/en/…

Fly from Bergen to Stockholm, spend some time in Stockholm and fly out from there. Or take the train to Copenhagen to make the trip in to a loop..

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Thank you. Perhaps unpredictable is a more apt term than "unreliable"; I heard from several sources that there are no high speed trains between Oslo and Stockholm and that parts of the rail lines between Oslo and Stockholm intermittently are down for repairs and that you may be diverted to bus for portions of your journey, which might make it a much longer journey, and not wishing to add unnecessary travel time to our already cramped itinerary, I did not know if traveling by train between Oslo and Stockholm was the most time-efficient or prudent choice.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

I fly when I want to go from Stockholm to Oslo. It's cheap and time efficient.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Thank you all so much for your advice! We are planning to visit the Vasa Museum, the Gamla Stan, The Drottingholm Palace. Are there any other must-see sights that you would recommend? I've heard it's lovely to visit the Archipelago...is this by boat? which islands in particular do you think are worth visiting and what should we do or see there?

6. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:21