We, 3 adults and 2 young children (5 and 7 yo), are planning our first visit to Scandinavia this mid June/July 2014 for about 2 weeks plus. Our interest is more on relax sightseeing and some cultural experiences, and find something suitable for our children along the way. Coming from tropical country in Asia, Europe is very interesting and different place for us, although we have been to some countries in Europe before (England, Scotland, France, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, and Greece).
Based on my initial research, I was thinking about this itinerary:
1) Flying to Stockholm, stay 4 nights, focus in Stockholm city, and if possible one day trip to country side/small towns to experienced typical Swedish life
2) Taking train from Stockholm to Gothenburg, stay 3 nights in Gothenburg, focus in western coast of bohusland, incl islands/villages such as Smogen. We may have to rent a car here.
3) Flying to Bergen, Norway, stay 5 nights. The city and surrounding area looks fantastic. We may also plan to do one or two light excursion off Bergen, and wondering if we need to rent a car to go around outside Bergen city.
4) Flying from Bergen to Billund, Denmark, stay 3 nights in Vejle. We will spend at least one full day in legoland. There are some other kids related stuff here such as zoo, waterpark, etc. But we may not do that, instead I am looking for some possibilities to drive around billund to see the country side or small towns to experience typical Denmark living.
5) Flying back home from Copenhagen (taking train from Vejle to Copenhagen airport)
I would appreciate if I can hear any feedback from the experts here. Specifically, I also would like to know if it is too late to start booking accommodation, since it is only 2-3months left (long haul ticket from Asia is no issue). Normally, we stay in holiday apartment, can someone refer website/agency/operator/apartment that we can rent in the above places?
Lastly, is it fine to just skip Copenhagen? I read somewhere that Copenhagen looks like a bit like Amsterdam and a bit like Stockholm, hence it is ok to skip. Also, I try to limit max 4 places to stay..moving in and out, esp with children, is not that easy.
Apologize for cross-posting this message in Copenhagen, Bergen, and Stockholm forum.
Many thanks in advance for your feedback.