We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Hello I would like to ask all Stockholm TA if my understanding is correct.

We will fly into Stockholm Arlanda airport for 3 days in December. We stay near central station.

Day 1 (Saturday) - from Arlanda airport to central station by Flygbussarna in the morning, drop bag in hotel then visit Ostermalms Saluhall - Royal Palace - Stockholm Cathedral - Stockholm Old Town (Gamla Stan) - Old Town Christmas market then back to central station.

Day 2 - from central station to Stockholm city hall and Drottningholm Palace, back to central station

Day 3 - from central station to Arlanda airport

Q1 - Is day 1 too packed? I try to put them all together since they are close to each other.

Q2 - I do not need any 24 hours visitor ticket or Stockholm card for this itinerary. I only need to purchase single use travel card (I guess I don't need reloadable SL access card too since it's a short stay). Single use travel card can be used on T-bana, tram and bus. Is my understanding correct?

Q3 - where can I purchase single use ticket?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Your day one seems fine.

Single tickets can be bought in the subway stations but good to bear in mind that there is no way to buy tickets on the busses nor there are any ticket machines on the busstops.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Thanks for your help H_1234589!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Can anyone advise me the meaning in the table below?

Fridhemsplan » Gamla stan

Zone A, 2 Tickets

Purchase type Full price Reduced price

Reskassa 25 kr 15 kr

I spärr 44 kr 28 kr

Automat/SMS 36 kr 20 kr

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Journey in zone A, full price with SL access pay as you go is 25 SEK, ticket bought by the guard in the gate is 44 SEK, ticket bought in machine is 36 SEK.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Hi Iva I!

Seems like you have planned your visit well!

If you will be travelling alone to Drottningholm and that will be the only time you'll use the public transport then buying single tickets is the easiest solution. If you will be travelling with at least one more person then buying the reloadable SL access card "Reskassan" (pay as you go) would be cheaper as you can all use the same card.

Welcome to Stockholm!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Thanks augustekman for your reply! By the way why do I need 2 tickets? In SL website, it was written there 2 tickets.

Hi Visitstockholm, actually I'm very confused with Stockholm transport fare system. There will be 2 of us travelling together to (first day) Saluhall, old town, Royal palace then (2nd day) Drottningholm and city hall. Reloadable SL card is never my option since we only spend 2 nights in Stockholm and I didn't know that 2 of us can share SL card and use it to pay for both of us at a time. This will save us a lot of money then. Thank you!

Edited: 24 September 2014, 16:44
Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

You don't need two actual tickets. It comes out ambiguously in English, in Swedish we talk about two coupons which is the cheapest single ticket. Not so long ago we had ticket strips and you always had to pay at least two coupons from this strip when traveling. So don't worry about that.

But it should be pointed out that although you can use the Reskassa loadable SL card for several persons you have to arrange the ticket for it every time you use it, either by 'building' it via the ticket machine, or more practical to get help from SL personnel at the station (or the bus driver). This is because the Reskassa is loaded with a standard ticket (say two coupons, the cheapest single ticket for one person) and every time you want to use it in another way you have to have some kind of manual intervention. We are not very fond of the system but take comfort in the fact that it's even worse in Gothenburg.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Thanks Ugurd!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

I plan to visit Drottingholm Palace on 14th Dec Sunday late morning from Stadshagen T-bana, however no bus go to Drottingholm on this particular Sunday and I need to walk 2.4km from Nockebyhov Backskåran or Nockeby Spårv. Can anyone help me to confirm this? Thank you in advanced!

Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about transportation ticket & itinerar in Stockholm

Metro Blue line to Fridhemsplan, Green line to Bromma and change to bus 323. No problem according to sl.se travel planner.