We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

I am traveling to Stockholm June 17-23. We will be there over the Midsommer celebration. We were going to stay in a neighborhood with lots of shops and cafes and restaurants. Do these all close down and if so for how long?

Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

They dont close in general but many restaurants close on Midsummers eve, Friday.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

Most small independent shops will be closed on Midsummer Day as well.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

And overall the city will be quite empty, maybe if you have chance stay in the archipelago for a night or two to participate in the swedish midsummer? :)

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

Thank you for the advice. I have an air bnb reserved for 6 days over that weekend but maybe we can use that as a base and yes spend a night in the archipeligo. How would I search for lodging in the arhipeligo? Is there a specific island I should search for?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

Look through Visit Stockholm (Official Sthlm Visitation Board) for room and board:

…visitstockholm.com/en/accommodation/start

Otherwise there's several nice Islands to stay at, just mentioning a few of the well known ones which should have plenty of visitors.

Grinda

Uto (Uto)

Moja (Möja)

Sandhamn

Or maybe one of the smaller Archipelago townships such as Vaxholm or Dalarö.

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

Thank you. I will check out all those islands. And a college friend of my nieces invited us to sail to Ekholmen and then Huvudskar for midsummer, which I understand is far out in the sea!

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

Yes, Huvudskär is quite far out in the sea. That sounds like a really good idea for midsummer and should be a very nice experience for you!

8. Re: closures during Stockholm's Midsummer celebration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:16