We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Topic
Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

I've been to Stockholm recently on a business trip and I should say Stockholm is the most expensive place I have been to. I have even been to "expensive " cities like Tokyo and Geneva. They are not as expensive as Stockholm. I can agree with Alex V about not recommending Stockholm for tourists who want value for their money. As mentioned I've been to Stockholm on business and i could't wait to get out of there. There is something gloomy about that city that I can't describe, you just get the feeling. I understand that Swedes can get depressed. Peter

Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

You should avoid coming here then as it might affect the way you do business.

Maybe you haven't been to that many places. If you check the UK paper Daily Telegraph Stockholm is no 15 with London and Oslo in the lead.

CNN has SIngapore in no 1 spot and Paris as no 2. Stockholm is not among the top 10. I'm well aware that there are all kinds of lists and they are all constructed in different ways.

Having said that I do agree that Stockholm is expensive but it used to be worse (other places having become more expensive). I do not think that it's a reason not to come here. The meaning of value for money is a very personal decision.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

I dont want to contradict the fact that Stockholm is expensive but you and Alex V obviously had made bad research and/or bad luck.

One thing i do know is that i never pay much attention to posters with 1 or very few posts regarding anything on these forums!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

Stockholm, along with rest of Scandinavia and indeed most of Europe is relatively expensive. Sales tax in Sweden is 25% on nearly everything except food and magazines. That itself tells you something.

However, I find "Dagens Lunch" (Daily Lunch specials) to be fair price because you often get coffee/tea, salad/bread, meal and soda for around $10.

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

I feel blessed to be living in the US :)

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

I didnt have any issues with the cost there. yes its more expensive, but with the USD being the lower, and its going to hurt.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

I don't think anyone who visits Swedes does it because he/she wants to visit a cheap place. The common tourist that visit Sweden does it for other reasons, and know from the start that it will be a bit expensive.

I'm actually glad that Sweden isn't cheap, since that usually is an indicator of a bad economy or poor conditions.

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
94 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

Maybe its more a question of what you get for you money. You are paying top dollar in Stockholm compared to other cities - so do you get top sights, top customer service, top culture top welcome, top food? If you don't, or your research indicates you may not it may mean you should prioritise other cities.

For the OP expensive it may be but it gives him a good insight into the issues his business colleague may face

Edited: 13 June 2014, 09:52
London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

It's not that hard to do Stockholm on a budget. Don't go during high season, buy a Stockholm card, drink tap water, avoid taxi and don't drink a lot of alcohol. The nice views and all the splendid walking opportunities come free of charge.

Living in London, a few things do annoy me. I can't understand why a bottle of water is twice the price in Stockholm compared to London. And the unregulated taxi market is a scandal, hopefully politicians will sort it out soon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

I agree that Stockholm is an expensive city to visit but not more so than other Nordic capitals or indeed London or Paris. It seems to be a pleasant place to live and it does quite well in international surveys of cities.

However I am not sure if an average visitor would be getting "tourist value" compared to London or Paris. Let us say that a tourist from the US visiting a major European city would spend $500 per day in overhead eg plane ticket, hotel, food and ground transport. In return you get the National and the Vasa museums - there is nothing wrong with them but it does not have the impact of say the Louvre or the Orsay. Similarly the royal palace is quite beautiful but not the same scale as the Versailles.

My reason for visiting Stockholm in the past was that it was a transit point to the north for hiking and other outdoor activities, which is the best thing about Sweden for me. Spending a spare day to/from Abisko in Stockholm is great but I don't think I would recommend Stockholm as a destination worthy of a special trip across the Atlantic.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices in Stockholm are insane! What's going on?

Peter, It would be interesting to know:

1) Where and on what you spent your hard earned bucks,

2) What's value for Money for you,

3) What parts of Stockholm you visited?

This to understand the panic attack described above.

Just asking, coz I've been to several places more expensive and - of course as Stockholm is expensive - even more places less without coming Close to your reaction

Edited: 25 June 2014, 10:27