We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

Sydney
Level Contributor
665 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

We want to check out the area south of Folkungagatan and walk through Sodermalm to Monteliusvagen and Fjällgatan. Can someone suggest an interesting route to walk through this area? I am interested in art, Swedish design, architecture, social history, nature/parks, good coffee and vintage stores; we will probably start at Slussen

Mentioned in this post
Sodermalm
Sodermalm
1,329 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Monteliusvagen
Monteliusvagen
800 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

I made you a map with some markers of some of my favourites. Others might fill in more :)

http://kartor.eniro.se/m/0n5a8

Sydney
Level Contributor
665 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

This is wonderful, exactly what I wanted.. Let me know if you want a map of Sydney !

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if yore picky about coffee, both coffee places I mentioned in the map, Drop Coffee and Johan Nyström, are very high quality micro roasters with highly skilled staff.

Mentioned in this post
Drop Coffee
Drop Coffee
153 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

If you want a bit of a retro sandwich place I recommend Skåningen on Skånegatan. Pretty much the kind of sandwiches you'd get when I grew up w meatballs, beet root salad (how could an Ozzie resist) etc.

Further down you can have lunch at one of the most classic beer halls Pelikan.

Ljunggrens on Götgatan is Swedish/Asian crossover with a nice terrace.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
248 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

Augustekman, this is fantastic!!! What a wonderful help! Here's a perfect example of why I love Trip Advisor. While had no original plans to wander down that area when we visit, I'm now going to make a point to go see the ugliest building :) I'll be sure to use your map. Thanks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
665 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

are the cute heritage houses (wooden cottages) on Bondegatan and/or Skanegatan? are the clothing and vintage stores on Borgmastarg? The markers got lost in translation:-(

thanks

K

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

Oh, I wrote the markers in English, so you probably don't need to translate the map ... Hope it works.

The marker at Borgmästargatan (Manos) should actually be at Renstiernas gata. I just realized I misplaced it ...

The heritage houses are in the park (Vitabergsparken). Easiest to access from Skånegatan.

Clothing and vintage stores are on multiple locations, but at least on Bondegatan, Skånegatan and Åsögatan.

Sydney
Level Contributor
665 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

there were no numbers on the markers so I wasn't sure what was what but I figured out most of them. Thanks for this information!

On a different subject altogether- are you aware of any "sound art installations" in Stockholm?

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

Oh, sorry, didn't see the markers lost their connection when printing. I have to find a better map solution :)

I'm not aware of any permanent sound art installations, there's a place called Audiorama ( www.audiorama.se ), but they don't seem to have any coming events booked. Others might fill in here ...

Fort St. John
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: neighbourhood walk through Sodermalm

Fantastic map! Thank you...we are headed to Stockholm in August and will take this with us! We arrive in Stockholm in the afternoon. By the time we get to our hotel in Nacka it will be 4 or 4:30. Would that walk be a good way for us to spend our first evening? Any suggestions for a restuarant (we are travelling with an 11 year old boy)? Unsure of how easy it will be to travel from the Elite Marina Tower for an evening out. Had also considered taking one of the last canal tours of the day so we could get an idea of the city and get ready for our first full day but was unsure if this would be worth it. Thanks for any help you can give!

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden