We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Stockholm to cycling destination

India
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Stockholm to cycling destination

Hello,

Gotland isn't possible in a day. Is there any place we go and be back in the same day that serene, beautiful and let us cycle around in a flat terrain

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
363 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Stockholm to cycling destination

There are lots of places, I live in Stockholm. What are you most interested in seeing?

Nature, medievel era, 17th-18th century, modern stockholm?

Get back to me with an answer, and I'll give a recommendation.

LT

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Stockholm to cycling destination

Utö is a nice day trip.

India
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Stockholm to cycling destination

Thanks Stockholm28

Linda, Nature, cycle-friendly. Also, a cycle rental

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
363 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Stockholm to cycling destination

First renting a bike:

If you are satisfied with a "city bike" there are two options, the regular Stockholm city bike ( 3 day card /165 SEK) or Djurgarden has there bikes for 10 SEK. You can get the info for them in the post about getting around in Stockholm. One big limitation is you have to "check in" every 3 hours with the bike, if you are not downtown, you can't do this. If you want rent a better bike the going rate is about 250 SEK per day. My directions are not too specific, as I think it can be wonderful to get a little bit lost, especially in a very safe city like Stockholm. Stockholm has a wealth of remarkably well preserved nature areas all around the city. With low levels of water pollution, Stockholm is one of the few capital cities in Europe you can not olny drink the water, but swim in it too.

Routes for nature around Stockholm, this first one is for the city bike option. Bike paths are abundant and relatively well marked with distances to the next major landmarks. I am going to assume you are staying near the city center.

Djurgarden is lovely and there are several points of interest, ridding a bike along the canal lets you see a lot of native plants and a swamp that have signs and information, you can see ships coming into the harbor. From the north west side of Djurgarden, take Manillavägen north and cross the canal to Djurgårds Brun, swing right ( east) to the bike bath that was Lidovägen and that will take you around to another nature area. There are some good photos on googgle maps. There lots of cafes and places to sit along this path and places to take a swim too. Head back west towards Ladugårdsgärdet and then go to Valhallavägen towards Stockholm University, there is a small botanical garden there, there is about 1.5 km that you are riding right beside a noisy road but it's not bad . Hagapark is to the west of the botanical garden and the stables for Stockholms mounted police are on the south end of the park. If you still have time There should be places to check in the city bike along the way, and there is an app for you may want to go by the Olympic stadium and KTH on your way back to the city center. Vasatan area has always been the rich part of Stockholm so there is some interesting Mansions and buildings in the area. This will cover about 12 km if you take a few side roads.

If you are willing to ride farther, either go west to Drottingholm, or east to the larger islands of the archipelago. DrottningHolm is "Queens island" there is a lovely park and lots of secluded places there. The palace at the park is the official home of the Royal family, but in elegatarin Sweden, you can still use the park. There is a place to rent canoes and Kayaks and a place to swim as well

If you opt to go east either go to Gustavsberg or Saltsjöbaden. This is a part of the archipelago, with unique flora and fauna. There lots of boats and current or former fishing villages.

I hope this helps.

5. Re: Day trip from Stockholm to cycling destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17