We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Layover at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. Visit City?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Overnight Layover at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. Visit City?

I have a overnight layover at Stockholm Arlanda airport on my return trip from Italy to NYC. My flight gets in around 5:20pm. My connecting flight isn't until the next morning at 10:25am.

Do I have enough time to take an overnight trip into Stockholm or should I just stay at a hotel at the airport for the night?

If it's worth going to visit the city, what is the quickest and most affordable way to get there? How far is Stockholm from the city?

Do I need a visa? I'm a US citizen.

Can I even leave the airport? I'm flying SAS.

Where should I stay? Is there a good hostel near transportation to the airport?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Layover at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. Visit City?

Maybe go to the ice bar in Stockholm its right near central station and is open till midnight.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Layover at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. Visit City?

kuato

If it was me and if you can afford a place in town i would go for it.

i used the Arlanda Express (AE) to get into the city. Its a 20 minute ride but its more expensive than the commuter train.

I thought that Stockholm is a cool city to explore. I didnt see/do everything but i will be back for more. Walking around the waterfront in the early AM before people were up and about was serene and photogenic. Gamla Stan is really cool to wonder around too. Seems like the designers of the layout didnt like straight lines, but it give the place a lot of character along with the narrow streets.

you won't be able to see everything, but hopefully it will get your interested to make a trip back.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 02:26
Ekero, Sweden
Level Contributor
69 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Layover at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. Visit City?

it is indeed a hostel at the airport in an old Jumbo, called Jumbo Hostel.

Also several hostels close to the central station that is 20 min ride from airport.

I would go to town over the evening and stay at the airport hostel. In the evening I would stroll around in old town have a beer or two and watch people, to get the rhythm of the town and all the water around it.

But make sure to make the last airport train ride back, or the first one in the morning :-)

4. Re: Overnight Layover at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. Visit City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15