We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas of Stockholm and getting

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
34 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Areas of Stockholm and getting

Hi there,

we are visiting Stockholm for about 5 days in December and were wondering about the best way to get around. How big is the city, can you walk to most places in the centre or is it more spread out. We were looking at a hotel on Kungsgatan, will this mean we can walk everywhere or is public transport still necessary? Another hotel considered was on Hammarby Allee, which is frther south I believe, is this very far away from the city centre/most main areas?

Thanks for all help!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
613 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas of Stockholm and getting

Well, you can walk, but it depends a little on your walking shoes and stamina. It would take a little longer sometimes than using public transport.

A sample distance. From Stockholm C to Skansen is about 3 km, and takes about 40 minutes, (according to Google maps). Some of the longer distances are nice walks, that would be nice walks for themselves, not only as a means of getting somewhere.

From Kungsgatan you'd be able to walk (depends of cause, on what you're seeing, there are attractions that are further away also).

From Hammarby alle, it's a bit far to walk every time I think. It's about 5 km. You could do it once, and make detours to make a nice walk, and else use public transport to get into the City.

Worth noting, is that there are a few boats running, from Nybroviken - Djurgården, and, a little less frequent; from Hammarby Sjöstad - Nybroviken, (30 minutes, every 1 hour) (the latter might be useful if you're staying in Hammarby Alle)

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas of Stockholm and getting

corrine13,

in my opinion the core area of Stockholm is walk-able. I havent been to Berlin, yet, so i cant compare for you, but where i stayed, near Humlegarden, it was about 4 ~5 of their blocks to the waterfront and where most of the attractions i wanted to see was located.

Even walking from the Djurgarden to Gamla Stan was sort of a longish walk, but doable and really nice.

good luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
514 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas of Stockholm and getting

Hi,

Since the discussion is about hotels here is my:

I prefer in the centre or very near to the centre. Checking on the Internet a hotel in Gambla STN is better for me? Google the maps I can see this tiny island with bridges, the area around Train Central is not reccomended to book a hotel around there. I love anything related to the tourist areas, doesn't bother me the noise, traffic, I will take the transportation to visit other areas. I would appreciate any suggestions. I thank you for your help.

Edited: 02 October 2014, 20:47
Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
575 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas of Stockholm and getting

Check booking.com for hotels suitable to your budget. The Old Town (Gamla Stan) is very central to sights but Norrmalm incl the area around the Central station is also ok. Lots of well known good hotels around there. Norrmalm is what is called CBD Central Business District in some countries.

5. Re: Areas of Stockholm and getting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2015, 05:15