We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So much to see, so little time

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
So much to see, so little time

We will be flying into ARN next week and staying close to the central train station.We have less than 2 days (mid morning Day 1 to early afternoon Day 2) to experience this lovely city so time is precious. That said, any critical feedback from someone familiar with the area would be greatly appreciated.

We fly in and share private transport into town. After dropping off bags, we plan to tour the Royal Palace (focus on Royal Armory and maybe Royal Treasury), then take the Rick Steve's self-guided walk through Gamla Stan. Afterwards we plan to take the ferry from Slussen to Djurgardens, walk to Vasa to tour (or should we take a subway?) We will then walk a bit around Skansen and have dinner at the Oaxen Slip there. How late do the ferries run to get back to Nybroplan? Is walking back from Djurgardens a feasible alternative?

On Day 2 we will tour City Hall and perhaps have lunch at Hotorgshallen. Then we will need to get back to head to the cruise.

Is it best to exchange currency at the airport or central train station or at a bank close to Radisson Blu Viking? Would the Stockholm card be a worthy purchase for time saving benefits or not? Are we hitting the highlights with our time limits? Thanks

Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
541 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So much to see, so little time

Seems like a great plan to see as much as possible. No subway to Djurgården. The ferry is the best option I think. The ferry to Nybroviken stops ca 21 on weekdays, earlier on Sat-Sun.

Provided you have a credit card with 4 digit pin its best to use ATM 's. The rate is better. Most places accept cards incl coffee shops.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So much to see, so little time

Hi,

For some reason my saved posts are not showing up in my saved messages or I am doing something wrong :0. I was able to backtrack and find my altered timetable with feedback which makes more sense. Thanks for your help on the ATMs and it looks like the ferry stop from the sjovagen ferry is within a sort walk to Vasa so we won't need to look for a subway. ( sorry I wasn't clear that I was asking about a subway From the ferry to Vasa once on Durgarden vs asking whether there were subways doubling as submarines to get To Djurgarden :). Thanks to all.

DAY 1

8:50-11:30am Customs/Baggage/Transport/Hotel Checkin

Pick up Stockholm Card at central train station

12pm Ferry to Djurgarden - Sjovagen boat w/Stkhlm Card

1-3pm Vasa Museum

3-6pm Skansen (focus on the Old Town Quarter with the working tradeshops. If time permits, wander Market Square. Check out live music in Skansen)

6-? Dinner at Oaxen Slip at Djurgarden

8pm'ish Ferry/make way back to hotel & retire for evening

DAY 2

9am Gamla Stan Walk (Rick Steves in reverse from Slossen)

10-11:30 Royal Palace Armoury,Royal Treasury, Tre Kronor (purchase audio guide)

12:00-13:00 City Hall

13:45pm Back to hotel/Check Out/Taxi to port

I think this is workable but I hate to miss Hotorgshallen.

FEEDBACK

At the end of the first day when coming back from dinner on Djurgarden, I would suggest you walk. You have done the ferry to get over there and this evening slot is one of the few time's in the trip that you will not be under time pressure.

From Oaxen Slip, you will walk past the Nordic Museum, the Blue Gate that marks the old entrance to what was the Royal Hunting area, over a rather pretty bridge and then along the waterfront on Strandvagen - walk through Bezeilius Park, and through Kungstradgarden and along the top of Gamla Stan. Its a pleasant walk - its likely still going to be light so you still can see everything and get good photos as you go. That sectino to Kungsstradgaren is only 15-20mins or so if you do nothing but walk, so ambling along and looking is still a fairly short time. You are at that point only a similar amount form your hotel if its 5mins from City Hall. If it is early enough, you could divert by the Grand Hotel to Skeppsholmen and Kastelholmen and walk round them to get great views of the city over the water. Again not far, but worth the walk.

At Skansen if you do go to the Old Town then the highlight for me is the Glassblower especially if they demonstrate the crackle glass production - it fascinated me 30 years ago as a kid and still does today as an adult. The Park and zoo are open till 10pm in August although the buildings close earlier so do anything in that you want to go inside first and then move on to wandering around outside afterwards. The Glassblower for example finishes at 5pm. You may find that you can get a bit more flexibility in the day's timings if you keep that in mind.

For Gamla Stan I think you maybe hard pressed to see the Armoury, Treasury and the main Palace in one hour. So be prepared to cut that down or to give up City Hall if you really enjoy the Palace (for me I actually prefer the Tre Kronor museum in that complex.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So much to see, so little time

Here are a couple of comments. My wife and I didn't enjoy Skansen that much. We felt it was mainly for families. We did enjoy the Vasa Museum and depending on your interest, 2 hours is enough time. (We spent 4 hours there) There is a light rail between Skansen and Vasa Museum. On your last morning, leave out the town hall and the rest will be just doable.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So much to see, so little time

Thanks so much for your thoughtful consideration!

5. Re: So much to see, so little time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:18