We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alabama
Level Contributor
537 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

Hi !

I have a question here : Planning a trip up to Sigtuna and Uppsala from Stockholm. Pls kindly advise me what is the best way to travel up there from Stockholm. Our base is at Skarholmen stn and I plan to purchase the 7 days ticket (travel pass) to move around in Stockholm. Will this 7 days ticket cover Sigtuna and Uppsala ? If not, then how do I make payment for the train/bus fare while I am holding the 7 days travel pass !

Plse help me over here, should I go to Sigtuna first then Uppsala? Which is the most convenient way or route to take ?

I truly appreciate your comments, inputs and recommendation. Thank you so much. Cheers !

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

The SL access card covers Sigtuna, but it doesn't cover the last part to Uppsala.

Public transport around Uppsala is run by UL, Upplands länstrafik. There is a cooperation regarding the traffic crossing the border between the 2 counties.

For the UL part, you need a ticket for zones 1, 2 and 5.

To get to Sigtuna, you take the commuter train to Märsta, then either of buses 570 / 575 to Sigtuna.

To get to Uppsala, you take the Commuter train to Uppsala.

To travel between Uppsala and Sigtuna, there are a number of different combinations of bus / bus, or commuter train / bus; with change in Knivsta, or in Arlanda. Find it here reseplanerare.resrobot.se/bin/query.exe/en…

This will get you also some regional SJ trains, between Uppsala and Märsta. The UL or SL tickets are not valid on those.

Tickets for the UL part of the trip, you can buy at the commuter train stations, or at SL Center, (there is one in the Central station), from the SL ticket vending machine, you need to save the receipt from the machine to show on the UL part, I think) and some of the SL sales outlets in northern Stockholm also sell it.

I don't fully understand, whether the UL ticket is loaded on your SL access card, or whether you'll get a paper ticket. I think that it might actually be a paper ticket.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

Remember that change between bus and train at Arlanda, will be punished with 75SEK for the station entrance! bus to bus works fine!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

That's true. Didn't think of that.

Actually there are a number of different transport option, one being bus Sigtuna - Märsta, then commuter train to Upplands Väsby, then another commuter train to Uppsala.

Which would avoid the 75 SEK fee for Arlanda.

alabama
Level Contributor
537 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

Hi FiftyNiner and AndersE,

Thank you both so much for taking time to reply me ! Appreciated all your recommendation and inputs !

FiftyNiner : "For the UL part, you need a ticket for zones 1, 2 and 5", so how much do i have to pay for the ticket and what type of zone I need to purchase ?

What is the bus number that runs from Sigtuna to Uppsala? And how much is the fare and how long it takes ? Is it possible to avoid taking the Arlanda airport route when travelling Sigtuna to Uppsala, as I do not want to pay the 75 sek just to get around to Uppsala ?

Thanks ! Have a lovely weekend !

alabama
Level Contributor
537 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

Hi FiftyNiner,

Thanks for the resrobot.se website you have provided me in #1. I have explored this website, and find that there are 2 options for me :

A . I could actually take Buss 183 from Sigtuna busstation to Knivsta stn and then change to another buss 101 from Knivsta stn to Björklinge centrum (Uppsala kn), and the total travelling time will be 1.05hr. May I ask where is Björklinge centrum (Uppsala kn) ? Is it near the train stn area? I just want to see Uppsala Cathedral (Domkyrka), the botanic garden, the Uppsala University, Carolina Rediviva) that are nearby to the train stations. ! Is it worth to make a trip to Gamla Uppsala (if I just have 1/2 a day to spend in Uppsala)?

B. Or I could take this : Buss 575 from Sigtuna busstation to Marsta stn (Sigtuna kn) and transfer to sj regional 828 train from Sigtuna to Uppsala Centralsation., which take about 55 mins the whole journey.

May I ask, how much is the bus and train fare for both Option A and B. How do I make payment for both the bus and train services such as on board or ticket window , cash or credit card ?

Thank you so much for your help ! Have a lovely day.

alabama
Level Contributor
537 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

Hi FiftyNiner,

I checked on the www.sj.se/travel/booktravel/timetable.form website, the option B , bus and train fare is 100 sek ...

So I just want to find out the option A fare ? Is there a link that you could provide that I could check this up myself...thanks !

Appreciated ! Cheers !

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

O boy this is a mess!

Its because its the local "county" authorities that run the local traffic in Sweden and you pass a county border here! But served by the same trains!

And think about poor me who lives near the next border to Gävleborg county, but UL buses and trains make the trip in to Gävle!!! I have my wallet full of different cards!

This is how i would do it:

I would take Sigtuna first in the morning.

Just take the T-bana to Stockholm Central, on with SL commuter train (blue and grey) to Märsta and bus 570 or 575 to Sigtuna. All covered in your SL card.

Then take UL bus 183 to Knivsta and change to the SL (blue and grey) commuter train to Uppsala.

Buy this whole trip direct from the driver with your creditcard (but show your SL card, it might get cheaper!)

Sometimes the drivers let you ride along instead of messing with cards!

There is no direct bus Sigtuna-Uppsala.

When you are to go back from Uppsala visit the UL office (open until 20.00 on weekdays) in the central station and buy an additional ticket for the UL part of the trip to Stockholm (same blue and grey SL trains) i think its 60 SEK.

This way you wont need to worry about zones.

I have excluded trips with changes in the "outback" on some remote bus stop!

Its the Uppsala central station you wont for the historical center, and the sites you mention.

Gamla Uppsala is north of the city. It is two old churches and three huge burial mounds.

Only worth the detour if you have special interest in the old Vikings.

Well I´ts a mess but I think this is the easiest and most relaxed way to do it!

Enyoy your local traffic safari!

alabama
Level Contributor
537 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

Hi AndersE,

Thank you , thank you so much...for telling me what to do ...(a precise instruction). I truly appreciated. I will follow your instruction for this trip that I am going to make. Ya, first time to Scandinavia countries, have no idea where and how to buy ticket if i have a pass. I just have to be careful that I do not violate the transport fare rule ! (fine) ! BTW, you mention the local traffic safari, what is that???

Have a lovely evening...haha !!! Cheers !

Edited: 17 August 2014, 20:49
Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

Haha! Just thinking about you zooming around in the Uppland countryside on a "safari"!

alabama
Level Contributor
537 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day trip to Sigtuna and Uppsala

AndersE,

Thanks for the explanation about the "safari" ! .

May I ask, are the trains pack during 8 - 8.30am (weekdays) ? What is the rush hour there ?

Do we have to produce our passports and go thru immigration custom even we travel by train from Stockholm to Oslo , Oslo to Copenhagen etc ? How long it takes to get thru custom then ?

Is the tap water safe to drink ?

Thank you so much for all your inputs, comments and recommendation !

Have a lovely day. Cheers !