We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Money Should I Take for 15 Days?

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How Much Money Should I Take for 15 Days?

I will be going to Stockholm 2 weeks between mid September until the 1st week of October. I'm wondering how much I should expect to spend. I've read that credit cards are preferred, is there any truth to this?

I will be traveling with a 5 day Stockholm Card, so that should help. If anyone wants to share other suggestions I'm open to them.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much Money Should I Take for 15 Days?

Scandinavia is on the verge of a cashless society. People use their debit/credit cards for everything, even when buying a newspaper or a single piece of candy. Small retailers and market booths used to be cash only, but with the introductions of inventions like iZettle and its like (naturally a Swedish invention) cards can be used there as well (those payment solutions demand a chip though).

Cash is dispensed from cash points (ATM's), this is where you get the best rates (barring any extra fees your bank chooses to extract from you). The cash points themselves (Swe: Bankomat) don't add any fees.

Chip and pin is preferred, but swipe and sign (or chip and sign) is still possible, though you might need to involve a supervisor or a senior member of staff since it's a rare occurance for most employees. Also remember to have a 4 digit pin code.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much Money Should I Take for 15 Days?

For 15 days, I would bring about 1000 SEK (approx 150 USD) for those rare occasions when the merchant does not accept cards (it does happen) or the card machine is out of order.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much Money Should I Take for 15 Days?

Be prepared for an expensive 2 weeks! Everything costs about twice as much as here in California. Food & drinks are expensive if you're eating out at restaurants, and shopping for anything is pricey. The exchange rate for me wasn't very good. Rental cars are also expensive, but I found public transport to be very good, and also walked a lot within my area of Stockholm. I did use my credit card a lot, but also got cash at exchange place while there. If you have a Swedish card, you'll avoid any surcharges by credit card company.

Be sure to bring cold medication in case you get a cold! They don't sell that there, or soft tissue for a sensitive nose you get with a cold. All you can get is aspirin and herbal remedies, which doesn't help much.

It gets chilly, even in summer, so,layering options are good, as well as a light rain coat and a sleeveless down jacket. I was so glad I brought my hoodie rain jacket!

Hope your trip is fun!

Edited: 26 August 2014, 06:46
Stockholm
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
527 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much Money Should I Take for 15 Days?

As in all cities there are cheap places and expensive ones. To say that everything is expensive is not very knowledgeable. The center including the Old Town is generally very expensive, a glass of wine can easily cost 100 SEK, but I don't think that was what you were asking for.

Less expensive are of course the fast food chains (McDonalds, Burger King and the like) but also in general pizzerias and sushi places. Try to move away from the center, for example to Södermalm. Today's lunch (Dagens lunch) is fairly affordable as the competition for the employees going out for lunch is keeping it down. You can find that in the city for 85 - 95 sek (ca 13 usd), further out maybe 11 usd). That will then include a drink such as water/apple/lingonberry, a simple salad, bread and butter + coffee/the.

5. Re: How Much Money Should I Take for 15 Days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16