We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

Hi, I am planning a trip to Stockholm in the end of May.

Can anyone please comment on the weather. Many sources say the average temperature around that time is 50 F. Is it usually cold at that time? Since we plan to do a lot of walking, we are concerned that it might be too cold to walk around all day.

Also, can anyone please recommend, what is the best location to stay in order to be close to the "center" as well as to get a good taste of Stockholm? (We are in our mid-twenties, meaning the "center" for us does not mean "museums," but rather shopping, fashion, bars, meeting other young people).

Also, how much time do you need to visit Stockholm? We have a week. Is that too long for just Stockholm. Can anyone recommend what to see in and around Stockholm in a week?

Last question, is it safe to walk around at night/evening? Which areas should we avoid? How late do cabs run, or is there any difficulty in getting a cab late at night? (We got burned in Milan when we couldn't get a cab and almost walked to the hotel).

Any other recommendations will be highly appreciated because useful, in-depth information on Stockholm, especially from people who really know, is so sparse on the internet.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
London
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

The weather in Stockholm in May can be very nice, anything from 15c-25c but it can also be cold! You should check how the weather will be on the internet before u come!

I think the best loaction to saty in Stockholm is around Stureplan. Its a very upmarket area with designer shops, upmarket restaurants, bars, night clubs and few parks!

Sodermalm is another area with more of a bohemian feel with loads of art shops, trendy shops and cool scandinvavian feel. Soder och Stureplan is very close to the water, Gamla Stan (old town) and the Royal Palace!!

In Stockholm there is plenty to do and see! You can walk around Skansen (open air museum with amazing views over Stockholm), take a boat trip to one of the thousands of islands in the archipelago, like Sandhamn, Grinda or Vaxholm! Check out www.waxholmsbolaget.se for info! A MUST!!

Visit Drottningholm (the second home of the Royal Family) and u can take a boat there from the City hall , takes 1 hour! Walk

You can walk around Djurgarden (the royal garden on a island) with a fun fair, restuarants and more!

You can also take the train 30-40 min to Uppsala. Uppsala is a beautiful student town with a famous cathedral, castle, a famous unveristy with the silverbible and much more!!

Like anywhere in the world you have to use your common sense when you walk around a city in the night! There is always plenty of taxis around, always use Taxi Stockholm or any of the big companys. I have been to New York and walked around there in the night and ofcourse you use your common sense. You can find taxi's 24/7 and the last underground is around 3am!

For info about stockholm: www.alltomstockholm.se or www.stureplan.se for nightlife or www.stockholmfinest.se

Restaurants i would suggest; Hotellet, J, Pontus in the green House, Cafe Opera, Fredsgatan 12, Spisa hos Helena, Folkhemmet, Kungsholmenand loads more! Ask at your hotel for good places!!

Have fun, you will love Stockholm!!!

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Stureplan
Stureplan
100 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Sodermalm
Sodermalm
1,359 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Sandhamn
Sandhamn
262 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm City Hall
Stockholm City Hall
5,255 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
Uppsala County, Sweden
Taxi Stockholm
Taxi Stockholm
81 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Spisa hos Helena
Spisa hos Helena
390 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
London
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

Me again!!

For hotels you should check out Hotel Rival (owned by one of the Abba guys, very hip), Birger Jarl for scandinavian cool, Berns for boutique style, J for amazing views and coolness, Grand Hotel for over the top luxury and aswell the Strand Hotel, Clarion Hotel or Diplomat for location.

Thats it!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Rival
Hotel Rival
1,809 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Hotel Birger Jarl
Hotel Birger Jarl
1,703 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Berns Hotel
Berns Hotel
857 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Grand Hotel
Grand Hotel
2,394 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

Nice summary by Skrutt.

Regarding the weather I have to say your sources are incorrect. Daytime temperature in late May will be high 60's low 70's, definitely not 50F. In other words, it will not be too cold for walking. Nights can be a bit chilly though so bring a warm sweater just in case.

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

Thank you so much to Skrutt and ChristianB for such helpful, in-depth advice. I am still looking for hotels, since we are on a budget, but want to be close to the center.

Are there any areas in Stockholm to avoid?

Again, thanks so much for taking the time. I really appreciate it!

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
110 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

I agree: the summary above is very good! There are no areas to avoid, although perhaps you will feel more comfortable in the city than in some suburbs. However, I have never ever felt afraid anywhere in the city and I always walk everywhere - also in the middle of the night - as a single woman. So really, don't worry about safety!

Personally I prefer Sodermalm to Stureplan, but that depends. It is a little bit like choosing between Lower East and Upper East.

Sodermalm is more trendy, more bohemian, more arts-, advertising- and media-people. Stureplan is more brands, more brats, more of a financial and corporate crowd.

Cabs are not a problem, but it is a good idea to pick one of the bigger companies: Taxi Stockholm, Taxi-Kurir, Taxi 020. Not because of safety, but because of price. However, you don't really need so many cabs. You can walk almost everywhere in the city and there are also good buses and a subway which runs late at night (and it is safe).

And May is a perfect time to visit! Usually rather warm (but bring a sweater!) and be prepared to stay up all night due to the light - it is rarely dark!

Mentioned in this post
Sodermalm
Sodermalm
1,359 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stureplan
Stureplan
100 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Taxi Stockholm
Taxi Stockholm
81 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

Areas in Stockholm to avoid? Stureplan ;-D.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

Hi

Really nice summary by Skrutt and I would just like to mention Vasastan is a nice neighbourhood to stay in as well especially if you like secondhand cdshops, there are many around St:eriksplan. There are also a lot of good restaurants around there.

And as Skrutt said you should really visit the archipelago. Gröna lund is a amusementpark on Djurgården next to Skansen, if you like those kind of things.

And as a native of Uppsala I think you should visit here. You can get info from me, just ask.

Have a lovely time

matte75

Mentioned in this post
Uppsala
Uppsala
Uppsala County, Sweden
London
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

SMULAN, i find you your comments very annoying.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

Skrutt, any comments in particular, apart from the above one which was made in jocularity and clearly signalled as such?

Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Stockholm & best area to stay

hi everyone:

thanks for all information about the center and life in stockholm, i am coming to sweden in may and june, so i am looking to share an apartment or similar per month or per week, is that possible ?if someone knows something available please let me know?

stay in a hotel for 2 moths will be crazy and expensive,,i am very flexible with places ,thinking to stay around 1,2 weeks in each place,2 moths in total.

i am coming from australia...but also speak spanish and portuguese ,borned in southamerica ,australian citizen and resident. Sports, Surfing and thai boxing,would love to do snowboarding(still snow in may and june?)job :tattoos and body piercing.So if u help me with acommodation,u may get a tattoo or piercing for free...haha...

thanks everyone

Marco