We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct Ferries booking scam

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
43 reviews
Direct Ferries booking scam

Has anyone else tried to make a booking for a ferry through Direct Ferries and been conned into thinking it was cheaper and then discovered the booking has been made for a different date?

We just booked a ferry from Frederikshavn to Gothenburg for 21 July advertised at a good price, but when we had paid for the booking it had moved to the next day. We purchased a flexi ticket so were able to get it rearranged at an increased cost. Funnily enough this was the difference between the cost we saw on The Stena ferry website. Apparently other people had complained about this to the operator I spoke to at Direct Ferries. When we tried to cancel, it transpired we had to pay a fee which was considerably more. What a scam! Beware of this and book directly with the ferry company. We have learnt our lesson.

14 replies to this topic
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,327 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

Be it airplane ticket, ferry tickets, train tickets or bus tickets it always pays to go to the actual operator of the service for the best and correct prices. It also makes it alot easier when there are disruptions, reschduling or othe irr-ops.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

Agree with the answer above. Btw, the DirectFerries website seems to have its 'tentacles' on almost all ferry routes, so finding the original operator can require a little extra effort.

Totara North
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

DREADFUL experience with DirectFerries:

Booked a oneway for vehicle, 2 passangers, with cabin at end May, Bari to Dubrovnic.

We were booked on a Bari to Bar ferry - which I didn't pick up as the names are so similar I thought BAR was a ticket code for Bari. Not a real problem as we wanted to visit Montenegro anyway.

28 hours before sailing we decided to add a dinner to our booking.

Went to the website and clicked the oney button showing that said amend/cancel.

Next a message pops up on screen "your booking is successfully cancelled"

I tried phoning immediately, at 17:30 UK time, to be told I was out of hours as their office closed at 18:00.

I emailed their customer.services address with full details and request to reinstate the booking.

Next morning on the phone, their booking agent said the booking couldn't be reinstated.

I was in communication about this for the next three weeks, no satisfaction and few responses.

Back home, I am now told there's nothing they can do as the IT department can't access anything over a month old. They can take my problem no further

IT'S THEIR fault it's over a month old.

I wand to say everyone NEVER EVER book through DirectFerries. Ever.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
759 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

I have used them, for the Trelleborg Rostock, ferry, because they for some reason had a cabin available, when the actual ferry operators didn't. And it worked fine for me.

That said, I agree, don't book through second hand resellers, and I was probably just lucky.

Directferries are alittle bit useful for finding available routes though, although the site is a little confusing, snd takes you round in circles. But for booking, he ferry operators can be used instead.

Totara North
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

Yes I agree, it was certainly a costly lesson to learn. Thank you

Philadelphia...
1 post
2 reviews
6. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

Direct Ferries is a fraud. They charge a lot more than what the actual ferries cost and have horrible customer service. When you arrive at the port, the ferry companies often don't honor the reservation and you will have to buy a new ticket. Getting a refund from Direct Ferries is very difficult. After three weeks of emails they just stop replying. I've had to report the credit card transaction as fraud before Direct Ferries would reply to me. Do yourself a huge favor and go directly to the ferry companies and pay much less. The customer service is much better also. Good luck!

Totara North
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

Reporting the credit card transaction as a fraud is a great idea - I'm right on t that I only hope it's not too late now.

many thanks

2 posts
8. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

Hi,

I had also bed experience with directferries. Price for ticket (motorbike and driver) I payed via paypal was 47 EUR. But when carrier (Corsica Ferries) sent me ticket, on ticket was price 41,56. When I asked direrectferries services where is the difference they said these are booking fees and it can't be refunded despite this that customerservice said that booking fees are displayed on ticket that are not. And in their terms and conditions in paragraph 8 state that if the are any additional fees they are added to ticket price but in my case nothing is added to ticket price.

Stane

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
2 reviews
9. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

I also had a horrible experience with them. Booked a ferry on a date and on my confirmation email they indicated a different date. I called them and contacted them so many times explaining the situation, with screenshots and they just insisted on charging me extra cost for rescheduling my ferry. I took a bus all the way south to the actual ferry office and they changed me the date in 2 minutes, no extra charge. DEFINITELY A SCAM

2 posts
10. Re: Direct Ferries booking scam

exactly similar situation. I sent also many screenshots to them with transparent situation. This is really steal of customers money.

Reply to: Direct Ferries booking scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg
Recent Conversations