We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

warsaw
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

Hi! Im planning to visit Gorhebourg for 3 days last weekend of November. Any advice of what to see, do? We are more into outdoors and would love to do some nice walking - possibly outside the city. How is public transport and weather this time?

Göteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
135 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

Göteborg in November could be lovely, cold and with a clear sky, but to be honest it is more likely that it will be windy and raining. It will most definatly be dark. In the middle of November the sun will rise at 8 AM and set at 4 pm.

This is a link for the public transportation: Västrafik's English site http://www.vasttrafik.se/en/

If the weather is good and you are outdoor people I would recommend going for a trip to the southern arcepelago. You go by tram to Saltholmen and continue by boat to one of the islands for example Vrångö or Brännö . It is a very cheap pleasure since it's the same ticket for the tram and the boat. If you go be sure to check the boat times back since they don't go that often in winter.

Easier to ge to is Slottskogen which is a big park and/or Botaniska trädgården (the botanic garden). Links below:

…goteborg.se/prod/… (only in Swedish)

…goteborg.se/botaniska/…english_start.html

After November 13 it is possible to visit Liseberg, check out this link http://www.liseberg.com/en/home/

Even if you are outdoor people I would advice you to plan some indoor activities for the very real possibility that the weather will be less than pleasant.

Göteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
135 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

I found some information on the southern archipelago.

http://www.styrsobolaget.com/ (availible in English)

vastsverige.com/templates/portal____10958.as… (could only find this one in Swedish)

warsaw
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

Thanks for the information Ana! So U r saying that november is not the best time to visit Gotheburg? Well I guess its the same as with Warsaw. Definately more to do in summer but still...winter is to long to just try to sleep and have it over ;)

Anyway trip to sauthern islands sounds great, also botanic garden. As per indoors what would U recommend?

Göteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
135 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

Well, I am not necessarily saying that November is a bad time for a visit, I am just saying that if you want to stay outdoor a lot you should bring lots of warm an waterproof clothes! :-)

Actually of all the weekends in November the last one is probably the nicest since that Sunday will be the first of Advent. In that weekend practically all swedes will put up "advenstljustakar" http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventsljusstake and "adventsstjärnor" sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventsstj%C3%A4rna in the windows in expectance of christmas and in order to brighten the darkest period a bit.

Lots of information about Göteborg, and what to do can be found here http://www.goteborg.com/en/

About indoor activities...

I personally like museums. I have visited and enjoyed the Göteborg stadsmuseum (about the city itself), Naturhistoriska museet (Nature history) and Sjöfartsmuseet (about the sea, and boats). I have never been to Universeum (I have intended to go many times, but...), check out the website and decide if you think that is something you would enjoy http://www.universeum.se/

There is a big indoor shopping mall called Nordstan that I would not recomend if it were not for bad weather. Nothing wrong whith it, but a bit boring generic shops and it tends to get crowded (even more so of course when wheather is bad). In any case it is always varm and dry!

The best thing to do in my opinion on a dark, rainy afternoon in November is to go to a cosy café and have something tasty to eat and drink in good company, even better after a long walk during the bright hours! There are lots of good cafés, bars and restaurants in this city, so do come! Dont let the risk of bad weather scare you! ;-)

warsaw
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

wow! All these candles and lights are amazing!

I just bought flights so we are so coming!!! Yuhuu!!!!

Yes, nice cofe or bar is always a good idea, any places specially worth visiting?

About museums I would think but Im sure we would pick something!

Love traveling and getting to know new places!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
773 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

I would suggest a trip to the Northern archipelago, there's a free ferry that would take you to the island of Hönö, Hönö is in itself connected by bridges to Fotö and Öckerö (ö is Swedish for Island) and connected by Öckerö to Hälsö.

There is public transportation to the ferry depot at Hjuvik, some busses does the travel with the ferries over to Hönö.

I would also consider to dine at Heaven 23 (on the 23rd floor at the Gothia Tower Hotel), a magnificent view over the city, makes a great ambiance during night, regarding of the weather.

Museum, I'll recommend the art museum at Göteplatsen, an impressive monumental building, one of my favourite restaurants is located right next to the museum, and it's called Fond. The restaurant expands and refines the Swedish food heritage. Fond restaurant is awarded one star in the Le guide rouge de Michelin.

EK

Göteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
135 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

I'm glad you decided to come! There are lot's of good cafés and restaurants in different pricerange. Around the Aveny where many tourists end up, I would suggest rather to try out out one of the restaurants along Södra vägen, which is parallell to Avenyn. In my opinion they have to try a little harder because they ar not right on the Aveny. Even better is if you go to Linnégatan, there and on the streets around is many restaurants that serve good food for a resonable price.

In Haga there are a lot of cafes. They are mostly open during the day though. There are also many cafés along Vasagatan. Close to Vasagatan on Carl Gustavsgatan there is even a Polish restaurant namned Krakow http://www.krakow.nu/index.htm# in case you should get homesick ;-) I was actually passing it today and I got me thinking of your trip here in November (the weather wasn't very pleasant today).

Stenungsund
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

Hi! I would recommend a stroll on Andra Långgatan near Järntorget ("Iron Square") , where many a bit odd and cheap restaurants and bars are located. It´s a bit like Gothenburg´s answer to Soho. There are also many nice restaurants and bars along Linnégatan (big street, starts on Järntorget). On Avenyn (right in the center of the city) prices are generally higher, but Diamond Dogs bar offer good prices with Happy Hour everyday until 11 PM. I also like 7:ans ölhall (an old school beer bar) next to Saluhallen (the market-hall).

The food-shops in Saluhallen can also be worth a visit - it´s quite cosy in there.

I wish you a good trip!

Stenungsund
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

Hi! I would recommend a stroll on Andra Långgatan near Järntorget ("Iron Square") , where many a bit odd and cheap restaurants and bars are located. It´s a bit like Gothenburg´s answer to Soho. There are also many nice restaurants and bars along Linnégatan (big street, starts on Järntorget). On Avenyn (right in the center of the city) prices are generally higher, but Diamond Dogs bar offer good prices with Happy Hour everyday until 11 PM. I also like 7:ans ölhall (an old school beer bar) next to Saluhallen (the market-hall).

The food-shops in Saluhallen can also be worth a visit - it´s quite cosy in there.

I wish you a good trip!

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend in Gotheburg - end of november

Hi all. This is really useful info. I am a vegetarian (vegetar in Norwegian, I think). I am in Oslo and want to visit Goteborg in the last weekend on Nov. We have a 2.5 yr old daughter. Any vegetarian restaurants or dishes you can recommend please? (no meat, fish or chicken. egg and milk products ok). Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg