We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Gothenburg

hong kong
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Best time to visit Gothenburg

I would like to visit Gothenburg when the weather is reasonably warm

as I would like to travel to some of the islands.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

South London
Level Contributor
6 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Gothenburg

I just returned from a great week in Gotherburg and the answer to your question can only be NOW! Weather can be a bit variable, but had some glorious sunshine on Tuesday hopping around the islands with clear skies, deep blue seas and barely another soul to disturb the transquility. The autumn colours are glorious. One frusdtration is that a number of attractions seem to close down at the end of September, such as the Trollhatten Waterfall and some museums.

Word of warning though if you're going to hop around the islands, grab a timetable first (181 Ferry) or use the travel planner at http://www.vasttrafik.se/ as some of the smaller islands are not well-serviced during the winter season or drop off and pick up only on request by calling the relevant ferry 35 minutes in advance (timetable has the number for each boat).

hong kong
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Gothenburg

Thanks. I was planning a trip in May - their Spring - do you think this is too early?

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
773 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Gothenburg

I would say from mid April to early October.

EK

London, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Gothenburg

As griff1893 says, a lot of the more 'touristy' things close down in mid-to-late September. This especially applies if you want to do any camping. The summer season in Sweden is usually defined as July and August, and this is said to be reliably clear and sunny. The islands and coastline around Goteborg are gorgeous, but when it rains it really does rain. Having said this, I've had lovely warm, sunny weeks in Sweden in May, so you never can tell.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Gothenburg

We visited in mid June this year and it was chilly and rainy for the first four days of our visit. We layered up in sweaters and jackets. The last two days of our visit, however, were sunny and very warm.

6. Re: Best time to visit Gothenburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg