We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

Beijing
Level Contributor
342 posts
2 reviews
Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

Forgive me if I am not asking a right question, never been to north Europe before,

We plan to take family vacation in July and first stop might be Copenhagen. Then may spendd several days in Sweden before going to the west fjord area in Norway. I am targeting Gothenburg or Stockholm - just wondering if the two cities are basically of the same style or different? We are a little time constraint, if go to both, may only have two days in each city. Will be appreciated if you can give some recommendation on which city is more interesting for family visit, ESP a ten year old girl or both worth a visit?

Much thanks!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

Stockholm is well worth a visit. Can't comment on Gothenburg as not visited.

London
Level Contributor
338 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

I've stayed in both, liked them a lot & will definitely go back. Both have islands to visit if the weather's good. I'd have thought for your purposes Stockholm would win hands down. There's lots to do for both you and your daughter. Check out the things to do section on TA.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

Stockholm is a must see city. I have been to both Gothenburg and Stockholm and, although Gothenburg is charming, Stockholm is beautiful.

Beijing
Level Contributor
342 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

much thanks all for your kind help! then I will definitely go to Stockholm. With regard to Goteborg, how is it compared to Copenhagen? How about skip Copenhagen and visit both of Stockholm and Goteburg?

thanks again,

Lily

London
Level Contributor
338 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

Skip Copenhagen, no question. It's crowded with tourists & much more expensive. Gothenburg is much nicer in my opinion - plus, once again, if the weather is good, you'll be able to take a short & inexpensive boat ride to the nearest islands.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

I think I disagree with Mike 052. Copenhagen does have tourists, but it is very beautiful in its own way, different from Stockholm. If you are taking children with you, you can visit Tivoli Gardens. Nyhavn area is beautiful. You could also drive to Legoland in Billund, which is 2.5 hours away from Copenhagen.

Or you could drive up to Helsingor and see the Hamlet's castle and then catch a ferry to Helsingbor on the Swedish side. You would have to have a car for it.

London
Level Contributor
338 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

I didn't mean to suggest SeattleR, that Copenhagen isn't beautiful - it is. We visited in July two years ago when we were staying in Malmo across the Sound in Sweden & the contrast between the two places in terms of expense & crowds was enormous. About twenty years previously we spent a long weekend in Copenhagen and it wasn't so crowded but now it seems to be a major tourist destination in a way that neither Malmo or Gothenburg are. Point taken about Tivoli and Legoland, but Gothenburg has the Universeum and Liseberg Park next door to each other & I suspect if you were a ten year old they'd be just as much fun.

Beijing
Level Contributor
342 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

Dear all, much thanks for all the valued info and input!

Bahrain
5 posts
9. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

Dear All

We plan to make a trip in early Aug 2012 to Scandinavia. Since we are flying KLM, we will aslo be stopping over in Amsterdam.

Our plan is Amsterdam 2 days - Copenhagen 2d - overnight cruise to Oslo - 2d - Flam, Bergen & Fjord country 4 days - Gothenburg 1 day - Stockholm 2 days.

My daughter of 10 yrs will be travelling with us. Kindly advise if this is a good mix. While we would love to spend more time visiting natural beauty, since we are vegetarians , we are hesitant to explore the interiors like staying in a farm house etc due to lack of veg options.

pleas advise if the iternary is a good mix of nature & city fun.

thanks all.

10. Re: Gothenburg or Stockholm or both

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg