We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcard - visitors possible to top up or not?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Travelcard - visitors possible to top up or not?

I visited Gothenburg in May this year and I'm travelling there again in July. Last time I bought a 1 day travelcard/pass for public transport (80 SEK), I still have this pass and I was wondering whether I can just top it up at one of the machines when I arrive at Gothenburg trainstation or do I have to buy a new pass and 1 day ticket (80 SEK)?

Also I was wondering, am I right in thinking I can travel with this 1 day ticket (80 SEK) all the way to the Southern Archipelago (tram 11 to Saltholmen and then the ferry to one of the Islands).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
31 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelcard - visitors possible to top up or not?

Yes, the travelcard will take you to the archipelago. Anywhere within the legal boundaries of Gothenburg, which is larger than you'd think.

I'm unsure as to how you can top up your travelcard at a machine. What I would do instead of that is go to a 7-Eleven or a Pressbyrån in the Central Station, ask for a 1 day ticket, and then say that you have an old ticket with you. That way they will just load the new pass into your old ticket.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelcard - visitors possible to top up or not?

Thank you for the information! I will try and see if one of the shops will load a new day pass into my old ticket.

Thanks again!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
457 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelcard - visitors possible to top up or not?

There are no vending machines where you can top up Västtrafik travel cards yourself, you must always go to a salesperson, either at a Västtrafik customer service center or a service partner (like Pressbyrån or 7-eleven) or, in rural areas, the bus driver.

The card itself doesn't cost anything, so you don't save any money by keeping the old one. If you use "kontoladdning" (pay as you go), you must pay a refundable deposit of 50 SEK the first time you top up your card, but this is not the case for other products, like the 24h travel pass.

4. Re: Travelcard - visitors possible to top up or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:17