We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gothenburg and Marstrand

alabama
Level Contributor
638 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Gothenburg and Marstrand

Hi !

We will be visiting Gothenburg around mid Sept. We will have 1 full day in Goteborg even though we are staying 2 nights in Goteborg.

Would appreciate someone could recommend us what could we do in Gothenburg (exploring and sightseeing).

Heard that Marstrand is beautiful, so we would also like to visit Marstrand.

Is half a day trip be sufficient for us to do this Marstrand trip?

How do we get there ? We will be staying at Clarion Collection Hotel Odin.

How far is the train station to the hotel ? Can we walk ?

Pls kindly recommend us the most economical way to do our sightseeing in Gothenburg and Marstrand.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Appreciated !

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
492 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gothenburg and Marstrand

What to do depends on your interests. Take a look at http://www.goteborg.com/en/

Your hotel is right next to the central station, takes less then five minutes to walk.

To get from Gothenburg to Marstrand, walk to the Nils Ericson Terminal (which is connected to the central station), take the bus "Marstrand Express" to Marstrand harbor where you change to a ferry that takes you to Marstrand Island. Tickets can be bought on the bus, but only with credit or debit card, the driver doesn't accept cash. Your bus ticket is valid on the ferry going to the island, going back to the main land is free. You buy a new ticket on the bus back to Gothenburg. Note that mid September is off season so not everything will be open.

alabama
Level Contributor
638 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gothenburg and Marstrand

Hi Soer,

Thank you so much for your inputs. I truly appreciate and thankful to you for taking time to do it.

Could we use the 24 hr ticket to do this Marstrand trip.?

Is it possible to just spend half a day doing this Marstrand trip ?

And how long it takes to travel up there from the central station by both express bus and ferry?

We will be there on the 10th to 12th Sep, is there anyway to check whether the Island of Marstrand is opened?

Is there any public transportation bus routes that provide a good tour of the city or nice scenery ?

Thank you.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
789 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gothenburg and Marstrand

The island itself will be open but most restaurants and shops will not. I suggest that you make an overnight ans stay at Marstrands Havshotell, a nice spa themed hotel located where the ferry departs to Marstrand. The hotel have a really good restaurant, me and my wife goes to Marstrands Havshotell every now and then for some R&R.

https://www.marstrands.se/en

Marstrand is doable in half a day, but I recommend to stay a night as mentioned above.

Travel time, I would say one and a half hour.

EK

4. Re: Gothenburg and Marstrand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg