We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kirkenes to Saariselka

Durban
Level Contributor
228 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Kirkenes to Saariselka

I was hoping to take a bus from Kirkenes in Norway, after disembarking the Hurtigruten, to Saariselka in Finland, in early June.

looking at the Finnish bus timetables, I now can't seem to find a timetable for this route at all, and the bus to Inari only runs from 22nd June.

any other ideas on how to travel this route, or have I maybe missed something?

thanks

Andrew

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kirkenes to Saariselka

You can ask for a quote for a taxi ride e.g. through http://www.ivalontaksi.fi/english.html

There's a daily bus from Karasjok to Saariselkä, Inari and Ivalo. See timetable at www.eskelisen-lapinlinjat.com/fi/index.php…

There's also a bus from Kirkenes to Karasjok ( www.ffr.no/tmpl/ExtensionPage.aspx… ) but it does not match with the schedule from Karasjok to Inari, i.e. you'd have to spend a night in Karasjok.

As of 2 June the bus to Finland departs at 01:00 from the North Cape, could you hop on the bus from there? I.e. leave the Hurtigruten ship in Honningsvog and then go from there to the North Cape and take the bus from there? Or take the bus from Vadso at 2:30 at night. See timetables at www.eskelisen-lapinlinjat.com/en/index.php…

Durban
Level Contributor
228 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kirkenes to Saariselka

thanks for your help, that's given me something to think about.

I haven't much time in Finland, so was hoping to get to Saariselka/Rovaniemi.

maybe a bus from Honnigsvag or the North Cape into Finland would be best, although then I miss the last leg of the Hurtigruten.

do you know how it would work for me to carry my bags with me once I leave the Hurtigruten to get to Nordkapp?

thanks again

Andrew

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kirkenes to Saariselka

The Hurtigruten arranges excursions to the North Cape, so I'd imagine you could hop on one of those buses (against a fee, naturally). There's also a scheduled bus. Here's the timetable: veolia-transport.no/tmpl/ExtensionPage.aspx…

Further info on Honningsvåg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honningsv%C3%A5g

4. Re: Kirkenes to Saariselka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 11:17