We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turku airport to Helsinki

South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Turku airport to Helsinki

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have been planning a trip in March/April for a while (and constantly changing our minds mainly based on budget). We have finally decided on what will be our final choice.

We are going to Budapest in Hungary first, followed by Helsinki in Finland, and lastly Tallinn in Estonia. I have some questions around the Helsinki portion of the trip.

Wizzair seems to have the cheapest flight from Budapest to Turku in Finland. From Turku I have read you can take a train to Helsinki.

- How much will it cost for a train trip for both of us from Turku to Helsinki?

- Is the train station located near the airport in Turku? If not then how do we get there and how much will it cost to get to the train station?

- Do the trains run normally in late March? (im just asking because of the weather)

- Can the train tickets be purchased ahead of time or do you think it's best to buy them when we get there in case there is a delay on the flight?

- Are there any issues taking all our luggage on the train? What I mean is do we need to purchase any kind of special ticket for a train cabin or should a normal ticket be fine?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turku airport to Helsinki

Oh and one other question I forgot. What would you typically expect to pay for meals in Helsinki? Nothing extravagent, just a straight forward basic meal.

Edited: 13 January 2010, 14:09
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turku airport to Helsinki

>- How much will it cost for a train trip for both of us from Turku to Helsinki?

Rail operator: http://www.vr.fi/eng/

>- Is the train station located near the airport in Turku? If not then how do we get there and how much will it cost to get to the train station?

You have to take a bus. It's a few euros apiece. The bus stop is smack in front of the airport.

>- Do the trains run normally in late March? (im just asking because of the weather)

Yes. No problems with weather, we are used to it.

>- Can the train tickets be purchased ahead of time or do you think it's best to buy them when we get there in case there is a delay on the flight?

There's no real advantage to buying ahead of time.

>- Are there any issues taking all our luggage on the train? What I mean is do we need to purchase any kind of special ticket for a train cabin or should a normal ticket be fine?

No problem with normal airline-type luggage and no special ticket is required.

>Oh and one other question I forgot. What would you typically expect to pay for meals in Helsinki? Nothing extravagent, just a straight forward basic meal.

You can get lunch for 7-10 euros. Dinner is considerably more expensive but there are plenty of ethnic eateries (Chinese, Indian, Thai and Nepalese) with affordable prices. I had a great Thai dinner last night for 13 euros.

Enjoy your stay!

South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turku airport to Helsinki

Thanks for your reply JohntheFinn,

How long does the bus from the Turku airport take to get to the train station?

Also, how often are the busses available in the evening?

Our flight would land at the airport at 19:50 on 25 March. I checked the trains on the website you gave and the last train going from Turku to Helsinki is at 21:00. So I need to make sure there is enough time to get our luggage, go through customs etc, and get to the train station by 21:00.

thanks.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turku airport to Helsinki

There is no customs or passport check for flights from Budapest. Schengen is a wonderful institution! All you need to do is collect your bags and go, and as Turku is a very small airport this shouldn't take long.

Since time is fairly tight, you might do better to take a taxi. The airport's only 8km from the town so the cost won't be ruinous.

You can find out all you need to know about transport from Turku airport here: http://www.finavia.fi/airports/airport_turku

South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turku airport to Helsinki

Great, thanks for the info.

Looking forward to it.

South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turku airport to Helsinki

I just thought of something else im not sure of. Once we get to Helsinki on the train coming from Turku, where do we get off? Are there several stops or just one?

If we catch the last train from Turku at 21:00 then we'll be arriving in Helsinki around 23:00.

We will be staying at the Best Western Katajanokka. Is there a train stop near there or will we have to get further transport?

thanks again.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 12:45
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turku airport to Helsinki

You go to the last stop on the train. You could take a tram, but that late in the evening you'll be better off taking a taxi as you'll all be zonked. It's a short way by taxi but too far to lug suitcases.

8. Re: Turku airport to Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 05:20