We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland)

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Travelling Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland)

I will be travelling around Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland during July.

I wish to find out which is the most efficient and cost effective way to travel these countries?

My first thought was to get an eurail (Scandinavian Pass), would this be the best way?

Also, would it be cheaper to buy in Australia prior to leaving or when I arrive in Denmark?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Phillipa

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland)

This depends on how many cities you want to vist. Do you have any itinerary yeat? Hopping between just the capitals is prob cheapest by plane.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland)

Buying the train pass once you have arrived is more problematic than buying it (online) prior to arriving in Europe - the Eurail passes are not readily available here, but you'll have to visit the special Eurail Aid Offices ( eurail.com/planning/…eurail-aid-offices ) that exist only in the major railway stations. I don't think the price will be any different from what they've quoted on the website ( http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes ). On the website they say that the online prices are up to 20% cheaper than the passes bought on the spot (and not all passes are available anymore in Europe).

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland)

Thank you for your responses and advice. The eurail information will be extremely helpful.

manila
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland)

hello aussie_pip2,

I am thinking the same route as yours. i havent really decided on where to go and what cities to visit. would you mind sharing your IT? thanks a lot.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland)

I use a mix of plane/train when I'm in the Nordics. My usual split is:

Trains - going from Denmark to nearby southern Sweden; shorter domestic routes

Planes - moving between countries; longer domestic routes; or if I get a better/roughly equal price to a train fare on a given route

If you plan reasonably ahead, buying point-to-point tickets from the local train authorities can work out significantly cheaper - they usually have specials booking somewhat in advance. But if you want full flexibility of days AND won't fly, then a rail pass may be cheaper. (I personally don't use Eurail passes, but that's me).

Flying is usually faster (even counting time to/from the airport; airport-city transport has been good in all the Nordic cities I've been to). And there are nice bargains, e.g. I flew Copenhagen-Stockholm for A$60 on SAS (flysas.com.au) and the flight was just 65 minutes, compared to 5.5 hours on a train. There are plenty of other Nordic domestic airlines to choose from (e.g. Finnair, Blue1, Norwegian, and some smaller ones), some may be cheaper than what I paid (SAS isn't a budget airline).

Many things can be booked up from home in Australia IME.

Edited: 02 June 2012, 17:21
6. Re: Travelling Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finland)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:16