I have been thinking about backpacking to Finland this December, probably on the week before Christmas. I would like to visit Helsinki and do a Santa visit in Rovaniemi, and hope to see aurora as well. So I would appreciate if anyone could help me on these questions:
1) Is it very cold (like -10 degrees or lower) in December which it is not possible to walk outside?
2) Is it possible to have cheap accommodation (e.g. hostel) at that time?
3) Is it good season for aurora viewing? Do I need to join tour to see it or can see it even in any place in northern Finland?
4) Is it possible to travel by boat to Tallinn at that time?
5) Is it a good time for visit in December as I read that most tourist sites like museums may close? I am not very keen in winter sport so I would like to see if there is any museums worth visiting at that time.
Many thanks for your help!!! =)Edited: 26 May 2012, 17:53