We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

Hi,

As i have not been to Finland before, i will like to seek recommendations on places that i must visit in Finland.

Before that, I will be visiting Narvik (Norway), Abisko and Kiruna (Sweden), hence I wanted to also visit Finland and will like to get some advice on places i can visit in Finland. Im a nature person who loves mountains, lakes, beautiful scenery and auroras.

I have a week in Finland. And so far, the places that i have heard of is only Rovaniemi and Turku and of course Helsinki. Are these places in Finland that i must visit or are there any other places that i must visit in Finland.

Appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Audrey

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

Hmmm, March is not a very popular time to do the great outdoors, exept in Lapland. Middle Finland and more south is probably slushy and very wet, a transitional season between deep snow winter and spring. On the other hand, on the coast the sea is still frozen (or it's freezing cold at least) so not many opportunities for sailing the archipelago, either.

Take a look at the Lapland forum and you'll get an idea of the main attractions and info on the aurorae.

Helsinki & Turku with their museums are of course available just as all around the year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

Hi Mrs Helsinki,

Thanks and yes i have shortlisted to focus on the Lappland region somehow too. Am looking at the regions of Rovaniemi, Kakslauttanen and Inari in Lappland to visit. Are these places considered the gems of Finland or do you have other places in Lappland to recommend which i can visit for auroras, mountains, lakes and beautiful scenery?

Is it better to rent a car for driving to get to places in Lappland? In March, is the weather advisable to drive as im worried that there may be too much snow in Lappland causing some roads to be closed.

Alternatively, what will be the next best mode of travel in Lappland? Buses or Train or Plane?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Audrey

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

"Is it better to rent a car for driving to get to places in Lappland? In March, is the weather advisable to drive as im worried that there may be too much snow in Lappland causing some roads to be closed."

A car is the best way to go. Only some high elevation roads in Norway may occasionally be closed. All roads in Finland will be open.

Depending on your route, look places like Inari, Saariselkä, Kilpisjärvi or bigger resorts like Ylläs e.g. Any way it's worth going way North from Rovaniemi.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

Thanks!

1) If im interested in nature such as wildlife, which national parks would you recommend visiting? So far, the one im looking at is Oulanka National Park, are there any others that i should visit that is rich in wildlife?

2) Also, would you recommend visiting Hotel & Igloo Village in Kakslauttanen?

3) If im interested to do husky sledding, where can i do this activity which is the least pricey if you are able to recommend? Because those i have seen seem rather expensive actually.

My itinerary so far will be concentrating in Lappland most likely covering Rovaniemi, Oulanka, Kakslauttanen and Inari so far. Im looking at a a trip of 14 days in Finland.

4) Of these places, which will have more frequent sightings of auroras? Is it correct to say that the more north we go, the higher the possibility of aurora sightings?

5) If im looking to stock up on groceries, which places will have bigger supermarkets where i can stock up my food supplies from?

Many thanks!

Audrey

Thanks

Thanks!

Kajaani, Finland
Level Contributor
58 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

March is actually best time to enjoy great winter weather, starting from our Kainuu region to north, the south Finland is the slushy one. Skiing on frozen lake when the sun shines from cloudless sky (if you are lucky), that is really something. You will see auroras, or not, depends on luck also. It is not easy to see wildlife, usually the animals stay away from people, and bears are hibernating. There are grocery stores in most towns and villages as Sodankylä, Inari, Ivalo, Kittilä, Kemijärvi etc, distances between villages may be rather big.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

Besides Oulanka National Park, will there be other national parks you recommend visiting?

Kajaani, Finland
Level Contributor
58 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

My humble opinion: national parks are more for summer hiking, and in winter everything in north is covered with snow, you can enjoy the forests without trying the parks. Oulanka has two winter routes, one 7,6 km for snow shoes, and other 26 km for skiing. I would recommend to take some easy skiing tracks from skiing centres as Ruka, Levi, Ylläs, Saariselkä, Vuokatti, just name it. These centers are also better because of wide variety of different activities. Even smaller towns and villages do keep skiiing tracks where you can enjoy the nature in winter. The key factor is the weather, if it is nice, everything is enjoyable, and if not, it is better to stay inside. If you are not familiar with cross-country skiing, an easy track on frozen lake or river gives you good challenge, and you will be tired but happy afterwards.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I might pop by Levi but only there for 2 days 1 night.

Where will have good frozen lakes or river?

Kajaani, Finland
Level Contributor
58 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

All lakes and rivers are frozen in northern Finland until April, there is plenty of choise, only some rapids are open through winter.

A skiing trip from Levi center to Luvattumaa (www.luvattumaa.fi) is not very demanding, although there are couple of exciting downhills (and uphills when coming back) if you have never tried cross-country skiing. The skiing centers provide best selection of activities, except silence and peace, which can be reached on nature walks, part of them can be walked also in the wintertime, at least with snow shoes. Please visit these pages to find out more: http://www.outdoors.fi/Pages/Default.aspx

10. Re: Places to recommend to visit in Finland in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 10:17