We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki and Rovaniemi

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Helsinki and Rovaniemi

I am traveling to Finland from June 25-June 28, leaving from Turku (I could leave from Helsinki though) on the cruise ship to Stockholm. I want to visit the city of Helsinki, but also see the Laplands. Is this possible? I see that there are flights from Helsinki to Rovaniemi through Norwegian Air for about $55 one way. I think this may be a better option because the train takes up a lot of time. Once in Rovaniemi, I would like to rent a car to see some kind nature park or just take a drive up North. I've never seen the sun at Midnight so that is one of my main reasons for doing this.

Am I crazy, or is it possible to take a Lapland day-trip?

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki and Rovaniemi

If it's just midnight sun you want to see, then yes, it's possible in one day... :) I guess there are no Norwegian flights to Kittilä or Ivalo during summer, but you can pick up a rental at Rovaniemi airport and drive north for a couple of hours.

For such a short trip I think it would be better, if you go to some nearby resort instead of a natural park. All the services would be relatively near, and they all have plenty of good, safe and well marked hiking paths circling up and down the resort area. There are some nice paths also in Rovaniemi around hill Ounasvaara, but I find them better for a sweaty exercise than just a relaxed walk. But of course some nice river views also in Ounasvaara, and the paths are in good condition.

Foy you Levi would be a great destination. See for example this hiking map:

levi.fi/media/…patikointikartta.jpg

Two summers a go a did a walk around Pyhätunturi and top of Kätkätunturi. It took about 4 hours, but I was also partly jogging. Just going around and top of Kätkätunturi is also a nice walk, or choosing paths around Levi itself.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki and Rovaniemi

For such a short visit, you could consider Luosto. That'd be within a reasonable distance from Rovaniemi, next to the Pyhä-Luosto National Park. You can also visit the amethyst mine there. Unfortunately you'll miss the Midnight Sun Film Festival by a week, so it'll be very quiet in Luosto (and Sodankylä where the actual festival would be 13 - 17 June. You can walk up the Luosto hill and you'll be able to see the midnight sun (weather permitting). Actually my avatar picture is from top of Luosto fell and taken two years ago past midnight during the Midnight Sun Film Festivals in June 2011 ;-) .

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Helsinki and Rovaniemi

Of course Luosto! How could I forget... Hotel Luostotunturi should have some ready-made midnight sun packages, at least they did a couple of summers ago.

Here's some pictures for a teaser. Also links to Hotel Luostotunturi to contact them. It will - naturally - be an overnight trip anyway: http://midnightsunclub.fi/en/?gallery

Edited: 24 April 2013, 21:48
4. Re: Helsinki and Rovaniemi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:18