We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental and hiking

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental and hiking

Hello

We will go to Finland this summer, and we have planned to hire a car. We orientate our trip to visit antural places and to do some hiking, and I would like to know if hiring a 2WD car is enough to visit de country or wolud be interesting to hire a 4WD. Are the most part of the roads paved???

And any recomentadion about any unmissible hiking in Findland?

Thank you in advance

Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental and hiking

In the summertime a standard car is fine on all roads, there is no need to spend money on a 4WD vehicle. Most roads are paved, but if you venture to remote areas, you will find dirt roads as well. Good Finnish road maps have a color coding that shows which are the dirt roads. The possibilities for hiking are endless, ranging from national parks to hiking trails around almost every town and city.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental and hiking

Hiking trails: outdoors.fi/hikinginfinland/…Default.aspx

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental and hiking

In summer most of the public gravel roads are smooth and generally in good condition. There are some private roads, that are not so well maintained, but they are marked and you are still allowed to drive through them (unless the road is blocked).

Don't avoid all gravel roads - they can by quite fun to drive! They often give much better scenery than paved roads. Undulating past rivers and lakes, deep in the countryside. That's where our summer cottages are.

Here's some gravel driving tips from Mika Häkkinen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

And please note James Mays proper clothing for Finnish summer.

As for hiking destinations I would put Koli, Pallas-Yllästunturi and maybe Oulanka on top of my list:

outdoors.fi/destinations/…Default.aspx

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental and hiking

Hi

Looks like that with a plain car wolud be enough. I take note of your recomendations. You have so many beautiful places and parks that it is difficut to choose...

Thank you everybody

5. Re: Car rental and hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:17