We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to travel around? Bus, air, car, train?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best way to travel around? Bus, air, car, train?

Hello!

I'm a brazilian XC skier, planning to race some events in Finland next year (March/April). I'm trying to find what's the best way to travel around the country (=cheapest way!). Could you give me any advice?

I'll be arriving in Helsinki (from Canada) and I would have to go to these cities:

1) Helsinki -> Vaajakoski

2) Vaajakoski -> Sodankyla

3) Sodankyla -> Tornio

4) Tornio -> Kemi

5) Kemi -> Ylitornio

I've seen that Tornio/Kemi are very close, so renting a car there is probable the best option for that part. Also, I could get to/from Helsinki to Rovaniemi by plane (which seems to be cheaper than train. Does it make sense?). However, I'm wondering if there are trains or buses connecting all these cities, as renting a cart for a month it is going to be a little too expensive for me. If possible, I would like to rent a car only for a day or two in each city, just to go to my races (as I'm assuming the ski trails are not going to be within the cities).

Also, how are the roads in general? Is it common to have winter storms at this time of the year?

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Leila.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to travel around? Bus, air, car, train?

For most of you trips the only sensible public transport option will be a bus. In many ski events there may be some sort of shuttle transportation arranged by the organisers, check out first if such service exists.

From Vaajakoski to Sodankylä the journey will be quite long, ca. 11 - 15 h by train and bus.

1) Helsinki - Vaajakoski: take a train to Jyväskylä (you may even stay in Jyväskylä as Vaajakoski is just next to Jyväskylä. Buses operate between Jyväskylä and Vaajakoski.

2) Vaajakoski - Sodankylä: train from Jyväskylä to Rovaniemind then bus to Sodankylä (you can find connections at www.vr.fi/en also for the connecting bus journey. Or rent a car from Rovaniemi.

3) Sodankylä - Tornio: bus

4 - 5) rent a car, although you can travel by bus, too

Train (and some connecting bus) timetables: www.vr.fi/en

Long haul bus timetables: www.matkahuolto.fi/en

Local bus timetables in Jyväskylä: http://jyvaskyla.matkahuolto.info/en/

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to travel around? Bus, air, car, train?

Thank you very much for all info!

I really appreciate it! :)

3. Re: What is the best way to travel around? Bus, air, car, train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:18