We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finland "MiFi" mobile internet options

J F
6 posts
Save Topic
Finland "MiFi" mobile internet options

Hello,

I'll be travelling to Finland soon and am trying to find the best options for mobile internet without incurring data roaming charges. I'll be staying in Helsinki for around a week, travelling around by rental car.

Looks like there will be 2 options:

1) Rent a MiFi hotspot

2) Buy/rent a 3G SIM for use in my own MiFi device

Has anyone got any info on the best deals for either or both of these options please? I've had a look online myself but it's not particularly clear!

Thanks in advance,

James

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finland "MiFi" mobile internet options

If you have a micro sim compatible device (iPhone, iPad, Nokia Lumias etc.) then Saunalahti Prepaid micro sim special edition will be the best option. Unlimited data transfer costs with it 0.66€/day. This option is available in all R Kiosks (they are everywhere starting from the Helsinki-Vantaa airport). The starting package costs 6.60€ and includes the same amount of airtime (domestic calls 0.066€/min and text messages 0.066€/message, data transfer 0.66€/day). Just pop into any R kiosk and ask there for the current offers, as all prepaid subscriptions of all providers are available in R kiosks.

J F
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Finland "MiFi" mobile internet options

Thanks for the reply, useful info...

My iPhone is locked to O2 in the UK, hence wanting to avoid data roaming charges... the MiFi device won't be micro sim, unfortunately - are there standard SIM packages available too?

James

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Finland "MiFi" mobile internet options

You only need an adapter to fit a micro sim card to a regular sim slot. Micro sim is just a cut out from normal mini sim, which is a cut out from the old credit card sized sim. Connectors are identical.

I doubt if R-Kiosk will have those adapters, but if you go to any Elisa (Saunalahti) or DNA shop they will most likely give you one for free. Wise salesmen keep those leftover pieces from a regular sim, which work fine as an adapter.

But you can also buy one for about 1 euro.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 23:03
J F
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finland "MiFi" mobile internet options

Excellent...

Looks like I'll end up with a micro SIM/adapter and my own portable hotspot. Seems easy enough to organise.

Thanks for your replies.

James

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Finland "MiFi" mobile internet options

That should work. But if you hit any trouble with your gear, go to Verkkokauppa.com in Jätkäsaari:

www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/myymalat/jatkasaari

Street address: Tyynenmerenkatu 11, Helsinki

They sould have all the gadgets you need. Store open daily, kiosk 24/7. A must place to visit for all nerds.

6. Re: Finland "MiFi" mobile internet options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:18