We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rovaniemi in Summer

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rovaniemi in Summer

My wife and I are visiting Northern Europe in June 2014. Planning to land at St.Petersburg and cover Helsinki - Rovaniemi - Oslo - Bergen in 16 days.

We are still to decide about Rovaniemi in Summer and wanted to understand how the town will be during mid-summer. Is it worthwhile visiting the place in summer? I found a lot of summer activities listed on the visitrovaniemi website - but they sounded more like fillers for the off-season. Advice from experts on the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 07:08
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

As a local it's hard to see summer as a filler between two winter season... :) The town itself is pretty much the same as in winter, some students still in town, some tourists, people go to work and get off from work, but maybe hang out a bit more. Well, actually a lot more.

But there is one thing you really shouldn't miss in Lappish summer: the mid night sun. The mid night sun is what charges us up after a long winter. Rovaniemi is about the most southernmost place where you can experience it during midsummer. Climb to a top of hill Ounasvaara for the best views!

And there is nothing better than a barbecue during a bright summer night. Get a charcoal grill for 20 euros and head for the beach.

During the midsummer weekend itself Rovaniemi, like any Finnish town, will be deserted. Even Helsinki. If any chance people flee to their summer cottages, or their friends or relatives cottages. Or they rent one. There is some festivities downtown for those poor who decided to stay in town. Something very traditional like bonfire, dancing, folk music... But people will be back for the next Monday.

For activities you can have your reindeer and husky farm visits in summer too. But in Rovaniemi, if the weather is nice, you should go for a late evening river cruise. Have a drink or two and enjoy the view. There are also some nice and easy (1-2 hours) hiking trails nearby. No need for any special equipment - just good shoes.

As they are always mentioned mosquitoes not a problem downtown or at open places, or on river or hilltops. If you go hiking something long sleeved and repellents are enough.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 08:54
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

Thanks a lot Pasiroi. One more question, We have 3 days in Lapland - Should we restrict ourselves to Rovaniemi or should we also explore other parts of Lapland? Is there any area in Lapland where snow will still be there in mid-June?

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

Sure! If you don't do any activities you've visited the sights and said hello to Santa in two days. And you would still have time to spare.

A day trip to Ranua or Luosto perhaps?

Both only about an hour drive from Rovaniemi. Luosto is a small resort and a fell with the same name. Climbing to the top of the fell you get to see some of the typical Lappish scenery. Must visit there is a amethyst mine in Lampivaara. http://www.amethystmine.fi/

Ranua Wildlife Park is also a popular destination. Not your typical zoo. Except for some smaller rodents animals aren't kept in cages but have large open quarters. It's set in a pine forest so remember repellents. Trail that takes you through the park is about 2-3 kms. www.ranuazoo.com/English/Winter/Front-page

Levi also easily accessible from Rovaniemi. There's maybe not so many sights in Levi but lots of activities to choose from. But then I would opt for spending a night there. Closer to your trip search Levis website (and also Visit Rovaniemi) for their weekly summer programme. Weekly programmes are scheduled activities and often with a good price. Cheaper than normal safaris.

No snow in mid June. Maybe some fresh snow in very remote parts north of Kilpisjärvi. You would see some snow if you continue from Kilpisjärvi to Norwegian side, but even then it's high in the mountains and practically unreachable.

Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

Hi, as Pasi advises, there are plenty of things and places to discover around Rovaniemi.

To see snow, you could rent a car and drive to Kilpisjärvi to take part in the annual midsummer skiing event http://www.kilpisjarvi.org/tapahtumat_en.htm

But actually you never mentioned what you would like to see (other than snow) and do. Lapland is a vast area, and we who live here travel there to mostly enjoy the great outdoors. Pick up a guide book and check out what appeals to you. As for Rovaniemi, in my opinion the town itself is not worth spending more than a couple of hours or maybe come there to stay for the night.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

Well, true. If your plan is to just wander aimlessly, you've walked through Rovaniemi town center and around river shores in an hour. It's about 4-5 km walk.

But I sure hope you have more planned than that.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

Thanks Pasi & Yuke, apart from visiting Santa's village & Ranua zoo, we are planning on canoeing/rafting also. Will do some more research and come back with questions. Thanks for all the help.

Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

Oh you're welcome. One of my favorite places near that region is Oulanka National Park, You can find one of the most beautiful rapids in this country in there. There are also marked hiking routes, canoeing routes and some accommodation.

outdoors.fi/destinations/…Default.aspx

basecampoulanka.fi/en/…

And don't forget to take some mosquito spray...

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

For the love of my hometown little self promoting perhaps (no, I'm not involved in this project in any way). Town of Rovaniemi released actually just yesterday a little promotional video of Arctic Circle Hiking Area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbR54aTZRqg

Not to compete with Oulanka, which has some iconic views I admit, but on the video you get a glimpse of some of the typical scenery we have here on the Arctic Circle (even if the weather seems to have been bad while they were shooting). Not so much berry picking in real life as on the video... :) Maybe a little more mountain biking instead.

But if you are going river rafting they will probably take you to Vaattunkiköngäs which is part of Arctic Circle Hiking Area. About 20 minutes north from Rovaniemi town center.

outdoors.fi/destinations/…Default.aspx

Edited: 29 November 2013, 10:08
9. Re: Rovaniemi in Summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:17