We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice please

France
Level Contributor
112 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice please

My husband and I will be travelling to Finland for our honeymoon. We have 2 weeks to spend there and Lapland is on our itinerary, mainly for the northern lights. We fly to Helsinki in either March or April, and intend to rent a car. We have a few questions, for now.

1. Should we ignore the west coast of Finland? I’ve read conflicting reviews about this area, and can’t decide if it’s better to take a return flight to Rovaniemi from Helsinki, or drive from Helsinki up to Rovaniemi, with stops along the coast.

2. What would be a reasonable amount of time to spend in Lapland? We don’t ski, but we do everything else.

3. Does 3G work in remote areas in Finland? We usually buy a local data sim card while travelling, but we’ve been to places where it’s proven useless once we’re out of the city area.

4. Can a rental car be driven to Norway?

Thank you for any tips and suggestions!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice please

3. Does 3G work in remote areas in Finland? We usually buy a local data sim card while travelling, but we’ve been to places where it’s proven useless once we’re out of the city area.

Yes, it's useful pretty much everywhere.

4. Can a rental car be driven to Norway?

Yes.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice please

1. Depends on what you plan to do "on the west coast". Scenic wise I wouldn't bother, the road runs just enough far from the sea shore that you cannot see it. However, if you plan to spend time in the towns along the way, then the oldest towns in Finland are on the coast.

2. as many days as you can afford. 3 days would be the minimum in my opinion.

3. 3G covers all the bigger roads, all towns and also ski resorts. Also 4G is available in many cities and ski resorts.

4. You'll just have to mention this when you're renting the car.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice please

1. Personally I would choose anything other than driving through the country. But still I second Zam72, some nice old towns on the way if you haven't visited them before. Even Pietarsaari, which is more known for it's paper mill, can be quite pretty and picturesque from places. It's also heavily Swedish speaking littele town, like many towns on the western coast.

But after Pietarsaari it gets boring. From Pietarsaari it's about 3 hours to Oulu, from Oulu another 3 hours to Rovaniemi. But closer to Rovaniemi, especially if you continue further North, the scenery gradually begins to undulate, less open fields, more and more forest, roads follow river lines more closely, and occasional herds of reindeer (and speeding tourists) keep the driver awake. There's usually two roads following the river, the main road and a more interesting smaller road on the other side.

But coming back to Helsinki you could choose a night and car-carrier train from Rovaniemi to Helsinki.

3. Any populated areas, towns, villages, resorts etc. 3G works fine with any operator, also 4G in many places. But while on the road, I'm sad to say, Sonera seems to have the best coverage up here. Seen that many times on a bus when guys with Sonera could stream live video, but my DNA connection struggles to open a webpage. But calls work fine still.

France
Level Contributor
112 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice please

Thanks for your replies! We will probably fly return from Helsinki to Rovaniemi, and rent a car from Rovaniemi airport.

Any advice where can we buy a Sonera data card?

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice please

Sonera Shops in both Helsinki and Rovaniemi town center. Or R-Kioski stores which are everywhere.

But there is a drawback choosing Sonera. With prepaid you can only have a SIM just for making calls (with very high data charges) or just using mobile data but with no calls. Yeah, it's shows that both Finnish and Swedish governments still own a big piece of Sonera. There is also a data limit (10 gigs).

Go for DNA if you need more than just the fast but limited data. Much better deals and also available in DNA Shops and R-Kioski stores. Works well enough for me. Coverage: https:/…kuuluvuus-ja-peittoalueet

France
Level Contributor
112 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice please

Thanks. I just want data for my iPhone.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice please

Once you are out of populated areas I would opt for Elisa/Saunalahti or Sonera/TeleFinland data connections.

8. Re: Itinerary advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:26