We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

We are plan to travel from Stockholm to Helsinki towards the end of July on an overnight ferry.

I believe the scenery is exceptional. Because we have only six nights in Finland we want to be as efficient as possible.

I know that we can catch the ferry fromStockholm to Tuku.

If we do this will we miss good scenery by not continuing direct to Helsinki?

Is it possible to ferry hop through the Archepeligo to Helsinki or must we go by train if we stop overnight at Tuku?

I thought we could take an overnight ferry package to Tallinn for a day there.

Porvoo sounds interesting too.

We are seniors who have an interest in art and design. My husband can't walk far unaided but he travels with a very compact light weight electric scooter.

After Helsinki we fly to Copenhagen.

I would be very grateful for advice. We are budget travellers.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

"I know that we can catch the ferry fromStockholm to Tuku.

If we do this will we miss good scenery by not continuing direct to Helsinki?"

Nope, the scenery on the route Sto-Turku is much better than Sto-Hel. There's a day ferry and a night ferry on the Sto-Turku route. Since the night is short that time of the year, you may also consider the night ferry and admire the scenery in Sto after departure and in Turku before arrival and sleep while the ship is at open sea.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

Thank you for that.

I thought we would take the night ferry and save a nights accommodation because your accommodation is so very expensive.

With the night ferry we could look round Tuku for the day then catch the train to Helsinki late afternoon?

Can we store our luggage at the railway station?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,673 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

Turku railway station has lockers costing 2 or 3 euros per day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

Many thanks.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

Stockholm-Turku is definitely more scenic route and also so much cheaper.

But if you're interested in the archipelago, there is also the possibility to switch ferries in Mariehamn. Åland is a peculiar demilitarized zone between Sweden and Finland, belongs to Finland but it's more Swedish in culture.

The day ferry Viking Grace sto-tku leaves at 7:45 am and stops at Mariehamn 14:10. You would have plenty of time to see the archipelago and eat lunch before Mariehamn. The Helsinki night ferry stops at the same terminal 23:45, so you would have about 9 hours to explore. And then continue straight to Helsinki, have a good night sleep and breakfast in the morning, as the ferry arrives at 10 or so.

This is not to say Turku is not an interesting city, but by switching ferries you would get to see the archipelago and sleep on board.

If you're looking for an affordable accommodation, try searching from the hotel chains websites directly. At least Scandic has some offers that won't be on hotels.com etc. It might be cheaper directly.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 05:56
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

Thank you I will certainly explore that option.If my husband thinks this is a bit hectic do you miss much by taking the night ferry to Tuku? Or should we take the day ferry to Tuku and hang the expense.

I will certainly explore the hotel chains.

7. Re: Ferry boat travel from Stockholm and 7 days in Finland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:21