We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drink!!!

essex
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drink!!!

Can anyone tell me please whether you can buy spirits at the shop in Akaslompolo, like bacardi etc. I know that you cant get wine without ordering in the post office but what about spirits?

They do lots of cider aswel dont they??

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drink!!!

you can only get beer and cider from the supermarket adn yes, they do like their cider and perry, very sweet though

best to get yoru spirits at duty free on the way out

essex
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drink!!!

ok thankyou! my mum said that she would get it on the way out.

Ok thankyou.

Fo you know how far the post office is to order wine? do they sell a bottle in the bar at the Akas?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,104 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drink!!!

You can order most of the whole sortiment. However on stiff liquor there is a very heavy tax. So bring in all ~40% stuff you intend to drink. Wine and lighter stuff I would not bother to carry.

Sure you can buy a bottle from the bar, but according to the legislation, you can't take the bottle out of the bar. And it's ever more expensive as the bar will put it's huge margin on the already heavy price.

You can get beer and cider from shops with reasonable prices. There are also dry ciders available.

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drink!!!

Hi Princess,you can buy beer and cider at the supermarket, any other stuff you need can be ordered from the post office in Akaslompolo, they are agents for Alko ( who own the franchise to sell wine and spirits),if you order before 11am your order will be deliverd around 4pm, you pay a carriage cost on top of the price of your order, the prices are not too much different to the UK (wine prices), you cannot buy spirits at the airport to take with you, Wine yes, but anything else would have to go in your hold luggage. here is the web address for you to take a look, hope this helps

www.alko.fi

Anita

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drink!!!

Princess forgot to give you the location of the post office, follow the road down past the supermarket to the end of the road, you'll see the pizza place,and a ski shop, the post office is next door to that, they are lovely in the shop as are all the people in Finland..

Anita

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drink!!!

I would strongly suggest you take spirits and wine with you in your hold luggage as the prices are very very steep. A little tip that might help is wrap the bottles in bubble wrap (grab some free from the fruit & veg section in the supermarket) and then if you buy fragile gifts on holiday you already have the bubble wrap to protect them on the way home.

The extended arms due to the extra weight in the suitcases is worth it and anyway the cases will be lighter on the way home!

England
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drink!!!

Unless the gifts you bring back are heavier than the wine/spirits you took out!

St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drink!!!

Glad we are not the only ones who like to know where you get alcohol from!

essex
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Drink!!!

Thankyou everyone for all your replies!

thats brilliant, I had heard it quite a long walk to the post office is this true?!

Maybe buy it in uk and put in bags is a good idea?

Is it right you cant take it in your hand luggage tho?

St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drink!!!

Im confused again now!So can we buy at the airport here,and carry it in our hand luggage?